RIP Spot

The trouble does not stop at the collection site. The long term affects of cyanide use on marine life are numerous and are the cause for high mortality rates during transport (some report numbers greater than 80%) and later in the marine aquarist's display tank. The effects on marine life include, brain damage, muscle damage, spleen damage, liver damage, and the impedance of oxygen metabolism (Dixon and Leduc, 1981). The symptoms can be very elusive and often resemble problems associated with poor acclimation. Some of the symptoms include lack of appetite, malnutrition, disorientation, unstable swimming position, and secondary parasite infestations. What really perplexes some aquarists is that these symptoms do not always manifest themselves immediately. They see the fish eating and swimming normally for weeks and sometimes months before the effects are observed or the fish finally dies.

-Joe :)

Thanks Joe, I think that pretty much settles it...

Btw, just to prevent any misunderstandings, I want to make it clear that I don't hold this against Cindy at all... I got a beatiful, healthy fish from her, that she had bought from a reputable store, so there's no way either her or me could have known that the fish had probably been caught with cyanide...

At this point, I'm not sure if I'm going to try to replace him... but if I do I'll search for the certified net-caught, I guess that's the only lesson I can take from this.

Thanks everyone!

Nuno

Back