RO/DI waste line - Where to run?

Intheflesh

Non-member
Hi Guys, my plan was to FINALLY install my RO/DI system and mixing station in my basement. In my old house, I used to just run the waste water out the basement door when I was making water. In the new house, I want to make a more "permanent" solution.

I am setting up the RO/DI in the basement, and we have a septic tank. I'm guessing that I shouldn't tap into any of the plumbing waste water drops. If I was going to run the waste water line into my house plumbing, it should be above a P-trap right? To avoid sewer gases leaking back into the house?

I'm thinking I have 2 options: drill a small hole in the foundation and run the RO/DI line outside and into our french drain system, or run the line into one of our AC condensate drains (we have 2 in the basement). Is there an other option I should consider?

French drain is your best bet with a septic system, just be mindful of freezing temps so I'd put the discharge line in a pvc pipe that goes outside to hinder the chance of it freezing on you. If your setup in the laundry room, you can run it out the same hole possibly as the dryer . I cannot comment on the AC condensate.

I’ve run mine through the Condenser out pipe and then just resiliconed it. I have perimeter drains around my house but don’t trust it so so can either run it to a permanent drain away from the house or what I did was I made a connection outside and just attach RO hose and throw in yard. Better this way in winter and in summer I’ll run to a rain barrel to water plants. No reason to waste it

I have a RODI 4 stage system and was wondering if I can use the waste water for my freshwater water tank? Wouldn’t this make the waste water RO since it doesn’t pass through the DI resin?

I ran my waste line directly into the washing machine drain. It already has a trap.

The waste water will have all the TDS the RO membrane is stripping out of the water. I also dump my waste line into the washer drain and have for years.

If connecting to a p-trap that feed to a septic/sewer always use an Airgap fitting to reduce chance of bacteria back tracking into your water system.
I use this model and a 1/2” mpt to 1/4”jg adapter threads in to accept the 1/4” waste line

Back