Rock Curing

Kens Bees

BRS Member
I built a new structure out of dry rock to replace a piece in my display. It's three pieces and probably around ten pounds. I rinsed in RO and put them in sumps until if figure out this question.

How long should I leave them in the sump to cure? The rocks I'm taking off will have the corals removed as best as possible and put on the new piece. The rocks being taken out will go in the sump so I don't lose all the good stuff.

some will say that you can rinse and drop in with no ill effect but ive had issue with this method where algae will grow on the surface area of dry rock. back in the day I would set up a vat to cure dead dry rock with a pump and heater. the rock can leach into the water some junk into water. if it were me id have cured out of tank...but if already done... then do water changes and run carbon. try dosing bacteria too for added benefits. i dose mb7 and clean and it helped me get over the algae issue from the dry rock.

This isn’t really “curing” the rock in the traditional sense, as Steve said it’s typically done in a vat/barrel outside of the tank in order to let the bad stuff leach out. You’re basically just seeding it with the good bacteria already present in your tank to avoid the uglies, I would leave it in the sump for a week or two.

I would let it sit in your sump for a few weeks before taking out your old rocks. I replaced a bunch of rock in my tank for less rock but a better scape without curing it first and I ended up with a bacterial bloom that lasted for a week or two.

Thanks all. Sounds like I’ll dose mb7 (was on sale at BRS yesterday) and wait till Christmas before I start pulling stuff out.

Back