Rust on Hinges

Reefried

In need of Reefhab
BRS Member
Hi i have a Marineland Sedona stand that is 9 months old and i guess comes with shi**y hinges as all 4 have rust on them 2 of which are completely rusted, and none of them recieve direct splashing/spray, just the usual mist from my filtersock, and im a nut when it comes to wipping down the sump and stand i HATE salt creep.............................so anyways after some fighting with marineland i got them to ship me 4 new hinges but they are the same exact hinges so they too will rust in short time, so my question is can i coat them with something to prevent rust?????

......Liam had mentioned to Varnish them and i thought that sounded like a great idea, anyone think its not?, or have a better idea, besides replacing the hinges with S.Steel, or Aluminum (which will prolly take hours of searching inline and still cant compare exact sizes)......should i use marine grade varnish (boat varnish), or just an oil base polly?????, water based polly???.........im thinking I'd spray them with like 3-4 coats of varnish what do you think?????????

Spray them with whatever you like.It's all good.I really don't think one would be much better than another either.Just let them cure sufficiently.

Back