Salinity question

Rafanho

Non-member
Hi,today i notice that my corals dont look happy,most of them are closed...
Water parameter:
Temp:78
PH:8
Alk:10
Amm:0
Nitrato:0
Phosphate:0.06
When I checked salinity is was 1025 in my refractometer.
But my hydrometer show 1022..
So I tried to calibrate my refractometer using rodi water and set to 0..
Now it show as 1028...
Really confused right now..thanks

IMG-20200320-WA0174.jpeg

Those can be slightly mis-calibrated from the factory, but the nice thing about your glass hydrometer is it doesn’t require calibration. Just test your water at 77 degrees or whatever the manufacturer recommends. If you find your hydrometer is slightly off, just note that and remember the offset, then use your hydrometer to calibrate your refractometer.

Beyond the salinity issue, I would like to believe that your Nitrate and Phosphate is too low. In my experience, corals (especially soft and LPSs) don't do well with near zero nitrate and phosphate. Good luck!

Hi,today i notice that my corals dont look happy,most of them are closed...
Water parameter:
Temp:78
PH:8
Alk:10
Amm:0
Nitrato:0
Phosphate:0.06
When I checked salinity is was 1025 in my refractometer.
But my hydrometer show 1022..
So I tried to calibrate my refractometer using rodi water and set to 0..
Now it show as 1028...
Really confused right now..thanks
Go with calibrated u wanna bring that down I almost melt my cyphastria being at 1.3 I couldn't believe how off my salt was then I bought a refractometer just make sure every time u use it it's calibrated

What is the best way to calibrate?I am doing with rodi water setting to 0...but I heard it's not 100% accurate...

But yes that's what u want the blue and white to be at zero with rodi water and try and take the water from near rock scape

My understanding is that the floating glass hydrometers are considered to be quite accurate. I would trust that.

Also calibrating a refractometer to 0 with RO/DI isn't going to help. You need to get calibration fluid closer to 1.028.

Back