Salt brand study

Glad to see that Matt got this report issued. Now I have to figure out what it really means.

Instant Ocean looks good in all catagroies so far, except Titanium. I'm not sure if Ti is a concern at that level.
I'm sticking with IO.

Read it, sounds to me like Shimek's report was crap... which is totally possible, because he used the number from the manufacturers for his "best" salt, and hobby test kits for the other ones.

Also, his "best salts" killed pretty much everything. I think this report is pretty decent, and pretty clear.

Looks to me like TM is a little closer to NSW than IO, but I dont know if its enough of a difference ot justify twice the price.

I know from personal experience that my tank went downhill after I switched to Tropic Marin. The change was very gradual so I don't think was some sort of shock.

At MACNA, a guy who presented the session about his 4,000G tank showed pictures of the same problem I was having in my tank (SPSs sliming and deteriorating) and he said he tracked down to a possible problem with Tropic Marin salt. I'm switching back to IO now. I know that a lot of people have success with Tropic Marin but it just didn't work for me.

In the beginning...

When I first started learning about reeefing, I saw polls that had IO as the preferred salt by a wide margin. So I said, "IO will be my salt, too."

Then, I started reading articles and reports on salt. With each one I read, the less clear everything got.

This led me to one conclusion: Science is bad; science causes pain in head.

But I still have to pick a salt. My four finalists are the salts that I have been convinced or nearly convinved are the best over the last few years: Instant Ocean, Aqua Craft Bio-Sea MarineMix, Marine Enterprises Crystal Sea Bio-Assay Formula, and Tropic Marin Sea Salt.

Using Matt's data, I constructed two junk science analyses that are compatible with my badly damaged brain cells.

The first is called the "Olympic Analysis" and is based on the method the newspapers used to determine whether the US or the USSR "won" an Olympics during the Cold War. This is also known as the "Medal Count" method. A Gold Medal is awarded to the salt with the closest meausrement to natural sea water on a per element basis. Then the medals are counted up: Gold Medal = 3 points, Silver Medal = 2 points, Bronze Medal = 1 point, Fourth place = 0 points. Ties are possible for full credit for both. Remember, this analysis only includes data from the four salts listed above. The overall standings:

1. Tropic Marin
2. Instant Ocean
3. Aqua Craft Bio-Sea MarineMix
4. Marine Enterprises Crystal Sea Bio-Assay Formula

The next analysis, which I may be the inventor of, is called the "Gunk Test." Gunk is the sum of the 20 highlighted elements in Matt's study. (All elements converted to parts per billion). Each salt is assigned a ratio of total gunk as compared to Natural Sea Water. The results:

* Tropic Marin has 3.0 times the gunk of natural sea water.

* Marine Enterprises Crystal Sea Bio-Assay Formula has 3.3 times the gunk of natural sea water.

* Instant Ocean has 4.4 times the gunk of natural sea water.

* Aqua Craft Bio-Sea MarineMix has 5.8 times the gunk of natural sea water.

And the Nobel Prize in Chemistry goes to...

Jov, Thanks for posting the link. interesting at the least as I've followed the previous testing. I'm going to print this out for my file. :)

Armando said:
I know from personal experience that my tank went downhill after I switched to Tropic Marin. The change was very gradual so I don't think was some sort of shock.

At MACNA, a guy who presented the session about his 4,000G tank showed pictures of the same problem I was having in my tank (SPSs sliming and deteriorating) and he said he tracked down to a possible problem with Tropic Marin salt. I'm switching back to IO now. I know that a lot of people have success with Tropic Marin but it just didn't work for me.

same here:)

Liam you should try NSW for a while. You live close to the water.
Maybe wait for the summer when you've got the boat going.

Moe_K said:
Liam you should try NSW for a while. You live close to the water.
Maybe wait for the summer when you've got the boat going.

i thought about it,then i thought how easy it is to tip a bag of salt in my barrel and turn the pump on:)

Back