Salt water container question

twiddledog

Non-member
The rubbermaid bucket i use to keep my salt water in has a lot of a brownish deposit in it and it is crumbling off into the wate in large peices. I am guessing its Alkalinity or Calcium deposits.

Is this bad or should I not worry about it?? I've been meaning to ask this for a long time.

The Red Sea Coral Pro salt I use does the same thing in my 55gallon food drum I use to mix my water.

I never worried about it until the other day...

I keep some extra water in there if I need salty top-off, etc. I went to get some to replace water I took out bagging up some frags. I noticed some "chips" in the little bucket that were stirred up from the bottom/sides.

I tossed the little that was left, scraped down the inside of the barrel, rinsed it, and back to almost new.

Never seemed to effect the salinity or anything else from what I can tell.

I'd like to hear what others think as well.

It is normal. Some brands of salt leave more of a deposit than others. It don't think it is alk or calcium, but some kind of clay they use to keep the salt from clumping. I don't think it matters, but I wipe my bucket out between batches.

Same thing here coral pro and I get it on my buckets nevermind the mixing pump..

I always thought it was dried salt

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

It don't think it is alk or calcium, but some kind of clay they use to keep the salt from clumping. I don't think it matters, but I wipe my bucket out between batches.

Yeah, forgot to mention that. The gunk at the bottom was definiately more like sand/clay than anything else. I thought it was kind of weird while I was cleaning it.

Most of the deposits are calcium carbonate. The brown color is from minor contaminants in the salt mix, not really a big issue. I probably clean my bucket out once every year or two. You can of course dissovle the stuff with a bit of acid. I usually dump in some diluted muriatic (hydrochloric, available at the hardware store) for a few hours, then use some dish soap and a scrubbing pad to get all the brown stains out. Rinse carefully (of course)!

Back