Sand Problem please help!!!!!

Renato

Reef Addicted
I have this brown algae on my sand, i thought that was ciano but its not.
I treat the tank for Ciano for 2 weeks and nothing changes.
At night time you don't see it nothing, only when the lights comes on.
I vacuum the sand every week but it doesn't work please help.

img3126yf4.jpg

img3127no5.jpg

img3128ih5.jpg

Do stringy air bubbles develop about halfway through your light cycle?

If you are developing stringy snotty air bubbles then it might be dino's :( It's hard to tell from the pics if it is or not but the discription of how it comes right back is what leads me to think it might be. Check out my battle with dino's and look at the pics of dinos... http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69806&highlight=dino

And also what are your phosphates and nitrates at? Problem algae needs nitrates, phosphates and light... Usually problem algae is a result of too much of one of these (usually not lights :p)

Ohhh man!!!

So now i have to dose kalk i dont even know how to do that :confused:

Well you need to be sure their dino's first kalk is great for other things (I still drip even after battle with dinos)

Nitrates are 20ppm
phosphate are 5

And are phosphates at 5 :eek: or do you mean .5 or .05? Ideal levels are .05 and lower. If they're at 5 or even .5 that is really really high and you should do something to combat the problem. Are you using RO/DI for water changes/top offs? If you're using tap water that could be the problem right there... Also are you doing anything for nutrient export (GFO, refugium etc?)

Nitrates are 20ppm
phosphate are 5

There is your problem I would start with the basic get you regular maintenance in order.

Maybe layout what you are doing for maintenance and what equipment you are running.

I just check it is 0.1
I have a 29 g fuge with cheato.
TLF phosban reactor one with carbon, another one with TLF phosban.
I do have RO/DI i check the water and it is 0phosphate and nitrates

Could that be the lights?
My acnics are 1 year old.
One more thing i tried the Turf algae filter bucket it didn't work for me because of space so i had to take it off, a week after that algae happened.
Maybe that had something to do it.

I see diatoms not dinos. Diatoms are no big deal, just a little annoying.

Do you see some of the same stuff on the glass if you don't clean it for a few days? If so, does it come off kind of like a dry looking powder that blows away in the current? If so, it's definately diatoms.

Dino's are stringy, slimy, usually have bubbles stuck in the stringy part, and feels like snot to the touch.

Assuming it is diatoms, they are fed by excess silicate. That said, there is always some silicate present, and some diatom growth is totally normal.

Edit, adding;
If the turf in a bucket was working at all, it would have been taking up some of the available nutrients in the water colum. With that nutrient draw, the other algaes in the tank would be slowed some. Take the turf off line and things will have to readjust and it's not surprising that you'd see algea(s) bloom.

Last edited by a moderator:
what you got in there for flow. are the spots in places with no flow. Dont look like dino's to me either (yet). Could be were you nitrates are the strongest in sand

I see diatoms not dinos. Diatoms are no big deal, just a little annoying.

Do you see some of the same stuff on the glass if you don't clean it for a few days? If so, does it come off kind of like a dry looking powder that blows away in the current? If so, it's definately diatoms.

Dino's are stringy, slimy, usually have bubbles stuck in the stringy part, and feels like snot to the touch.

Assuming it is diatoms, they are fed by excess silicate. That said, there is always some silicate present, and some diatom growth is totally normal.

Edit, adding;
If the turf in a bucket was working at all, it would have been taking up some of the available nutrients in the water colum. With that nutrient draw, the other algaes in the tank would be slowed some. Take the turf off line and things will have to readjust and it's not surprising that you'd see algea(s) bloom.

I think you are right.
From what i am searching here it looks like diatom.

what you got in there for flow. are the spots in places with no flow. Dont look like dino's to me either (yet). Could be were you nitrates are the strongest in sand

I think the flow its good i dont see any spots with no flow this algae is spreading everywhere on the sand.

Back