All Set Schedule 80

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
1. Does anyone have any laying around? I live in Pembroke and not one freaking store Carrie’s schedule 80! Not even the major plumbing supply company in Pembroke…can you believe that???
Asking before I have to drive an hour to get some. Or ordering it on line.

2. Looking for a plastic stand to put in my sump. 11” long. 8” wide and 6” high

Thanks in advance
Michael J

1. Does anyone have any laying around? I live in Pembroke and not one freaking store Carrie’s schedule 80! Not even the major plumbing supply company in Pembroke…can you believe that???
Asking before I have to drive an hour to get some. Or ordering it on line.

2. Looking for a plastic stand to put in my sump. 11” long. 8” wide and 6” high

Thanks in advance
Michael J
Curious as to why you want sch. 80 and not just use sch. 40.

You can mix schedule 40 and 80 - it’s just that the internal diameter of the pipe is different. Fittings are interchangeable too. Not sure why you can’t mix them unless it’s aesthetic.

You can mix schedule 40 and 80 - it’s just that the internal diameter of the pipe is different. Fittings are interchangeable too. Not sure why you can’t mix them unless it’s aesthetic.
Because I am plumbing challenged ….not saying you can’t…I just don’t know how.

No really, sch40 and Sch80 will fit all the same exact fittings. Fittings and pipe are interchangeable. The only difference is the inner diameter is smaller on Sch80, and fittings are more heavy duty. Sch80 is for higher pressure, far higher than we ever need in reefing. Totally unnecessary. We sometimes use it (used to use it that is, colored PVC is a lot easier to come by these days) because the grey color looks cool. Totally interchangeable as long as you don't need the higher pressure rating of sch80 which we don't need at all. You can also get sch40 in the same grey color.

No really, sch40 and Sch80 will fit all the same exact fittings. Fittings and pipe are interchangeable. The only difference is the inner diameter is smaller on Sch80, and fittings are more heavy duty. Sch80 is for higher pressure, far higher than we ever need in reefing. Totally unnecessary. We sometimes use it (used to use it that is, colored PVC is a lot easier to come by these days) because the grey color looks cool. Totally interchangeable as long as you don't need the higher pressure rating of sch80 which we don't need at all. You can also get sch40 in the same grey color.
I disagree on 40’s and 80’s fitting….I literally tried to put a sch 40 elbow onto a sch 80 pipe And it does not fit. The 40 diameter… It’s to big

If they don't you have different sizes, or more likely might be trying to match up Metric to english parts. They do fit. (not being snarky in any way. I was literally mixing sch40 and School 80 pipe and fittings on my QT system today.

If they don't you have different sizes, or more likely might be trying to match up Metric to english parts. They do fit. (not being snarky in any way. I was literally mixing sch40 and School 80 pipe and fittings on my QT system

ACA9F439-1ED9-44AF-A310-0FC1DDCD5000.jpeg

Attachments

• 0DE6C748-F474-4DC8-95CE-16BAC6ED71B3.jpeg
    0DE6C748-F474-4DC8-95CE-16BAC6ED71B3.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 73
Where do you get these parts…that’s my problem, I’m the type that’ll buy $100 of supplies and only use 10% Lol….it’s sad

Pictures above are 1" sch40, and 1" sch80. The second pic is them end to end. Note that they align exactly. (the first pic may look a little distorted because one pipe is longer, but you get the gist, same OD, smaller ID on the 80)

Where do you get these parts…that’s my problem, I’m the type that’ll buy $100 of supplies and only use 10% Lol….it’s sad
Haha, this darn hobby. Eventually most of us end up with a mini home depot laying around :)

Really though, you have to order pretty much anything other than white sch40. No one that I know of locally carries grey 40. Some places may have sch80, but it's really a waste of money since we never have higher pressures in reefing, AND sch80 is more restrictive / flows less in any given size due to the smaller ID (Sch80 is specifically for high pressure)

Metric to english adaptors do exist, but definitely need to be found online. bulk reef supply carries a variety.

Last edited:
Haha, this darn hobby. Eventually most of us end up with a mini home depot laying around :)

Really though, you have to order pretty much anything other than white sch40. No one that I know of locally carries grey 40. Some places may have sch80, but it's really a waste of money since we never have higher pressures in reefing (Sch80 is specifically for high pressure)
I think I need just 1 reducer. To go from 80. To 40 ….I might just change my whole plumbing Which will probably cost me a $1000

Really though, you have to order pretty much anything other than white sch40. No one that I know of locally carries grey 40. Some places may have sch80, but it's really a waste of money since we never have higher pressures in reefing (Sch80 is specifically for high pressure).

I think I need just 1 reducer. To go from 80. To 40 ….I might just change my whole plumbing Which will probably cost me a $1000
Nope, that's confused. You don't use a reducer to go from 80 to 40. You would use a reducer to go from 1" to 1.25", or english to metric.

a 1" coupling to join 40 to 80

Could you post a pic of what you're trying to do? It might speak a thousand words as they say.

Back