Scrapping the sponsorship plan

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Hi,
Just news for you folks.
The Tiered sponsorship plan we had in place doesn't seem to be working well. Nobody likes the plan and it's way to much trouble for us to enforce.

So my proposal is to make it a free for all.
Group buys will go to whichever store whenever.

We will rent forums here on the site for $200 per year (that's cash or donations, the BRS determines the value of donations). They can post whatever the heck they want in their forum.

Any vendor that offers our members a 10% discount or better can list their shop in their sig and provide a link. Once in a while (purposely vague) they can post a stock list or specials list in the proper market forums.

Banners? Sorry, that's way too much trouble. I cannot put a banner into rotation, and have to rely on others. That hasn't been working, so no banners anymore.

Oh yeah, the sponsors who have paid will get refunds as appropriate.

What do ya think?

whats up with this , Sea Creatures & Fishy Business stepped up to the plate & payed the big bucks to be tier 3 sponsors for the right to run group buys & have a forum

If the other sponsors want that right, let them step up to the plate. If they do thats more money for the club & stiffer competition on prices of group buy items ,so all the members get better deals This to me means a win , win for the club & members

So what do you all think is better , lets hear your opinions

1) More money in the club treasury & better group buy prices

OR

2) Less money & a free for all

Moe how about making this a sticky or a poll to see how members feel about this

Last edited:
I have no idea what has prompted this or maybe I should say who, but I will say this.

Most LFS around here think they should have all the business and no one else is allowed to have any business.
They think they have the rights to all the customers.
Most LFS around here have at best OK stores and want things to remain status quo.

Instead of promoting the hobby and thereby adding more hobbyist to the hobby which would make for more business for everyone they want to exclude any and all other potential rivals.

The more support a business gives to the societies the more people enter into and are successful and therefore stay in the hobby to become repeat customers of all the stores in the area.

The more a LFS promotes the hobby the better off the LFS is in the long run. To support and promote the BRS is good for the society, good for the LFS and good for the hobbyist.

It is a win win for all involved.

The sponsorship program may not be perfect but it is a plan that is here and some are finding it to be beneficial. Perhaps some are not.
I would venture a guess and say that those finding it not beneficial are the ones that would exclude any and all competition.

I ran an on-line business out of my garage for quit some time, as I did not have the funding to open a storefront. Had other things of a personal nature not happened I might someday have had the money to open a storefront.

I find it distasteful that there are some that would have excluded me from operating because in their eyes I was not legitimate. Even though I have a business license and operate under the laws of this state as a business.

Someday I will be back as a provider of equipment and livestock. I will most likely run it out of my garage until it can be moved into a storefront.

I hope the BRS has a sponsorship program here for me when I return.

It would be a shame to scrap it.

LFS's should support the sponsorship program. They should not destruct what others have constructed.

My .02

Ok, what is going on now? This is not a way to change rules. Are we supposed to have a meeting first? Have all the member of the club to be heard and vote on this issue. I agree with Tstone this is supposed to be a hobby and enjoyment of sharing with other hobbyist friends. So far I have showing my tank to every body that come over my house to look at what I accomplish and about one third of them want to start a hobby like ours. Like I said before this is a hobby to enjoy it, not taking a second mortgage to enjoy it or to scare the new people who would like to have a beautiful sea world in the house.

I agree with Marvin, but me not knowing all the facts in why this came up in the first place is tough, but hey if someone wants to sponsor us in such away that they get special prevelages then great. But in the long run I think we should do what's better for the club, not what's better for you or me.

DLCanuck said:
Ok, what is going on now? This is not a way to change rules. Are we supposed to have a meeting first? Have all the member of the club to be heard and vote on this issue. I agree with Tstone this is supposed to be a hobby and enjoyment of sharing with other hobbyist friends. So far I have showing my tank to every body that come over my house to look at what I accomplish and about one third of them want to start a hobby like ours. Like I said before this is a hobby to enjoy it, not taking a second mortgage to enjoy it or to scare the new people who would like to have a beautiful sea world in the house.
Well, no we don't have to have a meeting to change sponsorship plans.
But I figured we could all discuss it here. It's just a proposal.
The Officers and BOD would have to approve things before any changes are implemented.

I will like to be there when the time comes, I will like to participate for the decision for the club.

DLCanuck said:
I will like to be there when the time comes, I will like to participate for the decision for the club.
I think you should voice your opinion here. I think thats what Moe is looking for. Feedback from memebers.

What is your opinion on this matter?

Tstone said:
I think you should voice your opinion here. I think thats what Moe is looking for. Feedback from memebers.

What is your opinion on this matter?
Exactamundo, Marvin.

DL, go ahead and let us know what you think on the matter.
If you don't wanna note your opinion publicly, feel free to send me an email.

Moe ,

Why are you even thinking of changing it , as it stands now , sponsors have 3 choices,it is up to them what they choose & how involved they want to be
So since it is there choice on what they do , the officers & BOD should not have to them cry & complain about it. All they have to do is move up in the tier program

It fine for me to discuss it here as long there no prejudice or selfishness. Then we can make a log of the suggestion, and bring it up to the meeting and have a report for every one to read and so everyone knows what going on. Then we take to the next level and combine the best possible plan for everyone. The more people know and they produce some ideals for the club that will be great help too everyone.

I'm thinking of changing the plan to get more participation, from feedback we've received from 3 stores who have been long time supporters of the BRS, and mostly - due to complaints via PM.

Im going to sound like a broken record here but . . . The problem as I see it is that we go to great efforts to put this stuff together, then people dont like it so we try to fix it, people still dont like it so we fix it, people still dont like it we give up and people dont like that either. We dont get paid to do this shiznit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Rob did go thru a ton of work writing up the tiered plan.
We came up with it in response to one particular sponsors complaints.
We thought everyone would jump abaord, but that hasn't been the case.

Moe_K said:
I'm thinking of changing the plan to get more participation, from feedback we've received from 3 stores who have been long time supporters of the BRS, and mostly - due to complaints via PM.

what are the complaints & how can they complain it there choice if you think you have problems now Moe , if you do as you said " a free for all "
God Bless you guys

The problem is not with the system. The problem is that the system was never given a chance. We have a tier system in place the existing 1s and 2s don't want to step up with the money to become 3s, so without enough 3s we extend the 1s and 2s and outsiders the same privileges as 3s, so then the 1s and 2s have no motivation to step up to a 3 and it's back to go. You can't sell something and give the same item away at the same time, then wonder why no one is buying that item.

Believe in the club and the clubs value. Don't sell it short, I've said it before over and over again. Make it an open book let the membership see what sponsors are doing (or not doing) for them. Make a sponsor ship a "badge of honor" and a tier 3 the highest honor!
The system will work

-Marc-

littlep93056 said:
what are the complaints & how can they complain it there choice if you think you have problems now Moe , if you do as you said " a free for all "
God Bless you guys
Well, a bunch of the complaints were from you. :rolleyes:
I hate having to be a referee.

Very well put ,Marco You hit the the nail on the head If you hold the 1's & 2 's to the rules of there levels , they will move up
So not to be rude but " PUT UP OR SHUT UP "

I agree with Marc, I just wish the one are complaining will stop and think what they doing cause people are funny they will go some where else and complainer will lose out. You want to have a good business you have to work hard to have a good business; I wish I had some money to open a business. I will make sure that people get a good price to help their hobby. The more hobbyists out there the more business for you.

Back