Scrapping the sponsorship plan

littlep93056 said:
So not to be rude but " PUT UP OR SHUT UP "
Well that's alittle harsh and not really what I was implying.
My point was more that I think the system has merit it's well thought out, well written and deserves a chance. Once sponsors and potential sponsors see that it works they will get in line to stand behind the club. It's at that point we hit the "win-win-win" good for the club good for the store and good for the hobby.
But in order for all that to happen we need to stick to our guns believe in the club and the value of the club.
Once again it's just basic salesmanship. You can never expect to sell something your willing to give away.

Selfishness is why these problems exist. Selfishness is why group buys exist. Selfishness is the basis of capitalism. :D

I will again reiterate a common statement of mine . . . if you don't like the way we're running the club please step up and help out, run for an office next year, volunteer for MACNA, volunteer to help at meetings etc etc etc. It is very easy to sit back and say "I dont like what you're doing". I really liked the idea of the sponsorship plan, thats why I spent so much time starting it off and why the officers and BOD spent so much time reviewing and refining it. But as with all things you cant please everyone and two tings have come out of the sponsorship plan: 1) we seem to have alienated more sponsors than added and 2) we have made alot of work for ourselves in playing referee. Based on that I'd say its not working.

My vote however is to table this discussion until after MACNA. First because I think theres value in having a plan as opposed to a free-for-all and second because I would like to try and work this out but just dont have time right now.

Oh and BTW thanks Moe for fixing my trash mouth there. I forgot that there wasnt an auto censor. Sorry everyone.

Good points Rob.
I definitely believe in it, I've had strong feelings about sponsorship since day 1. I'd love to step up and moderate it but I guess now there is an obvious conflict.

I also agree with "table this discussion until after MACNA" To much negative energy being wasted here.

I can table the discussion if that's what you folks want.
In fairness, I should note I plan on stepping down as prez after this term (so that's Dec). Do you want to let the new slate of Officers solve this problem? Might be a good idea, but I hate to leave this nagging problem.
Seems that all the vendors have complained about it.

Lots of views on this thread, one message seen in confidence.
Feel free to respond to this thread, or to reply in confidence. If you need more info, I can explain things. You are the members, feel free to speak.

Heheh 4 years should be enough. Let fresh energy and perspectives come into the fold.

Sorry for being alittle harsh with " PUT UP OR SHUT UP " but thats how i feel I think the officers & BOD did a very good job with the tier program , i think it will work given some time if the rules of each level are enforced . not to repeat myself but sponsors can move up higher in tier level at any time to gain privileges

Last edited:
My take on this matter & others:
I don't do 1/10th the work Moe & the BOD & some other members do. Heck I think I do even less then that. The new house/construction is keeping me VERY busy. I help out online when I can with questions - but work has been busier lately :D
So, until I am working just as hard as they are, I'm not going to complain about decisions made by the people who are on the front lines & know a heck of a lot more about whats going on (then I do).
I made one suggestion about pulling names from a hat, and felt bad for any problems I may have caused (for that)
I think there should be some sort of sponsorship plan, but not sure exactly what.
I've been a little quieter (I think?) on the boards lately, partly summer, partly the house, partly busier at work. But frankly, this is a HOBBY for me. When it ceases to be fun to partake in this online give/take....then I cease to participate
I understand perfectly when someone (like me) decides to simply order online from Marine Depot, rather then go thru a group buy

Sponsor's, I think we need them, but I rarely get to visit them on a regular basis :(

Yeah, Marc hit the nail on the head I think, there is a couple sponsors that have ponied up to be teir 3 sponsors, so they get the most visiualization, and hopefully for them and the sucess of the system, get a little more business from the club to compensate their costs to become a teir 3 sponsor. I can imagine that the older sponsors who have been doing the same thing since they started are not into this change, but what really changed for them? Someone else who is paying more money gets more recognition, and hopefully business from us, whats wrong with that? Someone else is willing to pony up the dough for their marketing program with hopes it will pay off. If the systems going to work, it may need some more time.

....edit....

Well I need to learn to go onto page 2 before I respond, but I think RObs right about waiting till after MACNA to fix this, that will also give the plan a little more time to see if it can work.

Last edited:
My Opinion

I looked at the tiered sponsorship plan and, as a person operating his own business I thought I would comment based upon my first reactions to same.

The first thing that I observed was that all of the plans include an option that would require the sponsor to offer club members a 10% discount. Limiting this to dry goods only, from what I have learned the average discount available to a LFS is about 10 - 25% off the manufacturers suggested list price, and that is before shipping expenses etc are added in, with about 15% being more or less typical day-to-day.

So while this is good for members, it is obviously NOT very profitable to the sponsor, especially when shipping, support and returns are taken into consideration.

As an observation, you've probably noticed that some LFS jack their prices beyond the suggested list price, sometimes way beyond, that is in part due to the low (wholesale) margins they operate on and sometimes just out of greed.

The second option, requires that the sponsor pony up a fairly significant contribution, with or without the first option. As a provider of web hosting services, with nearly eight years "in the biz", I can tell you up front that even the tier 1 plan costs more than many (small) businesses spend annually on web hosting and email services.

What needs to be kept in mind is that regardless of the option, the sponsor needs to make a profit, if he can't make one sponsoring BRS, then they are not going to make the effort to the detriment of the BRS members and coffers.

So .. why not look at what your asking and at what your offering the sponsor.

Perhaps they don't need a "forum" but rather just an area into which they can post their weekly or monthly specials. Make it simple for you and them AND cost effective for both parties.

Personally, I dislike banner ads and as a businessman I don't use them, and I wouldn't bother offering them.

Their are a number of other "features" to these sponsorship plans that may or may not be viable, cost effective, manageable etc. that might need to be reviewed, modified or terminated as seen fit.

Anyway, just my observations and food for thought.

Regards
Noel

Moe,

I'm curious about the other side of the story. Could you summarize the anonymous complaints?

I too would like to know the nature of the complaints. Keep them anonymous. Just the facts not the gossip. :)

This hobby is supposed to be enjoyable to all who want a part in it, and to see what appears to be jealousy is really sad. We all have the opportunity to become tier threes if we so choose, and the tier ones and tier twos should pay the necessary monies to get to that level. Trying to stop any group buys, or anything of that nature to those who have paid their dues is really pathetic and shouldnt be allowed!!! There are rules for a reason, why should they be changed because they arent accomodating enough for certain people! Rules are rules, to be respected and followed!!!Arent we all adults? This jealousy nonsense is quite annoying, those of you know who you are!!!

Lam said:
Moe,

I'm curious about the other side of the story. Could you summarize the anonymous complaints?
Some people feel that the sponsorship plan gives only Tier 3 sponsors the right to participate in group buys. They get mad when other vendors are included. They have a point.
Some people get mad when a Tier 3 sponsor tries to do more than 1 group buy per month (the rules say 1 per month).
Some people feel they've heavily supported the BRS in the past, and to ask them to contribute the $400 to become Tier 3 is ingrateful (400 if offering a discount to members, 600 if not). I definitely see their point.
Some people think the plan is just too much money.
Some people think there's not enough seperation between Tier 2 and Tier 3. They may be right.
Some people think the plan really doesn't offer them anything. They're fine with a 10% discount. No need to get involved with other junk.
Some people thought the group buys were all going to one or two stores, and the love needed to be spread around.
Some people think we can't run a sponsroship plan, and are frustrated with us asking for money but not delivering. They have a point. I'm frustrated with the whole thing too.

There may be a few other complaints. That's about all I can remember.

Moe_K said:
Heheh 4 years should be enough. Let fresh energy and perspectives come into the fold.

UhOh the cats out of the bag. Thats OK Moe Im sure someone would be willing to try to fill your shoes. You'll still be member though right? We'd hate to see you leave . . . who else are we gonna get to beat box on the mic before the meetings. :D

Just as perspective I heard that Reef Central charges $500 per month for a sponsorship. Not that we are anywhere near that level of exposure but that's $6,000 a year :O and I know a couple of our LFS were/are RC sponsors. I don't think $600 a year is much to ask for full time access to our members, especially when we take into account donations made to the club for raffles and auctions.

Back