Seasoned 28 gal jbj nano complete setup and fully stocked tank move help?

ReefKeeper1699

Non-member
I have found a really nice, 6 year old running complete jbj 28 gal nano forsale. It is fully stocked with coral. All lps and softies and some clowns and a shrimp and maybe another fish I can't remember. I am going to be getting it next weekend. My question is, how do I to about even doing this? Anyone here that has moved a tank like this from one place to another successfully that can help out?

My concern is with it's age I can't imagine what can get stirred up. I just don't now what to do. I puta deposite on it.

The JBJ comes in both a compact fluorescent and a metal halide (HQI) version. If you have the HQI, it is a great tank for sps as well as softies. There are several threads for moving tanks. I would move the corals and live rocks to buckets. Have a heater in with the corals and agitate the water occasionally if you don't have a circulation pump. Try to keep about 3/4 of the water to use in your new setup, and do a really good job of rinsing the sand in new saltwater before reusing it. That will be your biggest challenge. Some would say don't reuse the sand, but if you rinse it well, you should be o.k. Just my opinion.

I was going to take everything out, drain into buckets and save all the water except and inch or two above the sand, then throw away all the sand and remaining water and put new live sand

Then while I had it broken down I was going to clean the tank and pumps with vinegar rinse it well a spot clean any visible algea on the rocks with peroxide and ro mixed

If you're getting rid of the old sand, you need the good bacteria on the rocks to help with your cycle. Even with new live sand, you will get a cycle. From the sound of it, you're not really moving a tank, you're starting a new tank. Maybe you should hold off on cleaning the rocks until your parameters are stabilized. You're putting big softie corals into a very clean environment. Get some more opinions before you decide. Maybe I'm just overly cautious.

I will leave all old rock and not touch it then and leave a cup full of sand plus all of the old water. Think that will be okay?

I think that would make the transition for your corals much easier since they are used to an established tank. In a month or so if you still want to clean your rocks, just do one at a time. In a small tank, everything you do is a major change to the parameters.

Perfect I will try to leave everything as is and just transfer everything back into the tank when I get home with new sand only with a container of old mixed in.

Anyone have any pointers on breaking it down, on cleaning the tank quickly while I have stuff in buckets,Ike maybe cleaning all with vinegar and pumps and glass and rinse well.

Any transporting tips or anything will help me out on this transition. It is actually going to happen this Friday after work

I would put all the corals in separate bags during transport so they don't sting each other. When you get home, you can put them in the same bucket while you clean. Don't let them touch each other.

Vinegar is really good for cleaning, but it works best if you can let it soak for a while. The longer the better. Your corals and rock will stay alive in the bucket for a day or so as long as you keep it heated and aerated. Don't worry about light, it's not as important as oxygen and heat.

The fish definitely need a heater and an air pump. Wal mart sells small tetra heaters that are preset to 78 degrees. I think they are around 10 dollars. They also have battery air pumps in the fishing dept, which will also come in handy if you ever have a power failure. Try to find a big Rubbermaid container. It might be easier than buckets.

Gotchya. I'm looking forward to doing this breakdown and rebuild and move. Will be interesting and I am sure mistakes will be made....hopefully not big ones. My big tank in the living room and now I will have a cool nano in the kitchen. :) now if I can talk the fiancé into a bathroom tank accross from the "throne" lol

A tank in the bathroom is a little extreme. I wouldn't push my luck. lol

If you can clean the tank within the day, you might be able to use your bigger tank to keep the coral and fish warm by floating the bags. Just don't leave them in the bags too long because they will run out of oxygen and their water will get stale.

Back