Seasoned 28 gal jbj nano complete setup and fully stocked tank move help?

I would have twice as much saltwater mixed and ready at home for the move. Bagging everything up and trying not to disturb things is the challenge. I would bag the top 1inch of sand and call it a day...empty the tank. I would pick up a couple of 20gal rubbermaids and put the rock and corals into them with powerheads and heaters until you have the display set up. I would use all the old tank water and mix in new saltwater. At some point, you want the water in the new display and the rubbermaids to be about the same chemistry. Once the display clears, you should be able to put all the corals and fish in without much delay. Good luck!

I'll have he tank cleaned in an hour or less. I may not even clean it. I may just dump the sand and small layer of water on the bottom, rinse it quick and add everything back in when I get home then clean the glass a week or so later including the pumps. That can all be done while it's filled. I think my number one goal and priority is to get everything home and fill the tank with its original water and get the heater and pumps going and get the live stock in and let it run as is for a few weeks monitoring parameters.

I bought 6 5gal buckets from a local sandwhich place called Marcuccis and grabbed a 20pound bag of live sand.

I have on hand a couple of 10 gallon heaters and air pumps and stones on hand in case I run into a time issue and need to drop them in the buckets.

I am not even touching the rocks nor cleaning any HA or whatnot off of them. I need whatever they have to help keep the tank from doing any kind of cycling or shocking anything too much.

I would have twice as much saltwater mixed and ready at home for the move. Bagging everything up and trying not to disturb things is the challenge. I would bag the top 1inch of sand and call it a day...empty the tank. I would pick up a couple of 20gal rubbermaids and put the rock and corals into them with powerheads and heaters until you have the display set up. I would use all the old tank water and mix in new saltwater. At some point, you want the water in the new display and the rubbermaids to be about the same chemistry. Once the display clears, you should be able to put all the corals and fish in without much delay. Good luck!

The thing I worry about with the 20gal tote idea is I only have 28 gal to deal with in the first place. If I am going to dump everything in a tote, why not dump it in the tank that already has the heater and pumps and so on? It would literally be all the original water, the old filter will be left in it. The only thing new will be the sand and a few gallons of water to make up what was lost from swapping things and was in the old sand.

My guess is if you tried to move the tank you'll crack a seam open. A one piece rubbermaid container does not have any seams. Make sure your buckets have tops that seal well since the water will slosh back and forth. But buckets will have smaller wave action than a large tote. The buckets will also help you isolate the critters from each other. The only down side is having enough heaters and pumps or transferring them from one to the other or if you can manage it have a larger bath that you can keep at 78 and put the buckets in there when you get home. Hand warmers are another option.

I agree with not doing a thorough cleaning of surfaces. You have a balanced ecosystem as long as you can avoid any major die off during the move. I'd also keep your filter medium wet during the move.

The tank looks great, I can understand why you went for it.

Good luck and share with us your results.

Last edited:
The new tank will be cloudy for the first few hours because of the new sand. Buy some filter floss to help clear it up faster. What do you mean by the "old filter"? JBJ's don't come with filters. Do you mean media basket? If so, I would fill the chambers of the basket with filter floss and maybe a little carbon until the water clears up. Let if run for a couple of hours. It doesn't have to be perfectly clear before you put your livestock in, but the less particles in the water, the happier they will be.

The new tank will be cloudy for the first few hours because of the new sand. Buy some filter floss to help clear it up faster. What do you mean by the "old filter"? JBJ's don't come with filters. Do you mean media basket? QUOTE]

I defer to your familiarity, Goby Wan. I was only pointing out that any material that had a bio culture should be kept submerged so there isn't die off that adds stress and loss of bioload capability.

I've moved my tank several times, planning and organization are critical for success. Other people have chipped in with some really good advice. When I've moved my tank, I've temporarily held everything in Rubbermaid, red party buckets (the kind of thing you're store drinks in). They're much wider than normal buckets and you won't have to precariously stack your live and deal with fish, all the inhabitants will fit. You can then take your time setting up the new aquarium. Making sure the stand is level, etc. Let everything chill out in the bucket for several days then transfer everything. Be sure to cover your floors with plastic tarps and have plenty of towels on hand. Also count on it taking twice as long as you think it will.

Sean,

What was the benefit of leaving "everything chill out in the bucket for several days?"
How did you prevent an ammonia spike in the bucket?
Did you provide any cover for smaller fish that would otherwise be bullied?
Are you referring to the 19 gallon keg buckets with rope handles?
If so, did you transport them in this or use it once you got everything to the new location? With the open top I would have been concerned with water and fish sloshing out over pot holes or hard braking.

But you have the experience, I just want to make sure I am interpreting it correctly.
Thanks.

Last edited:
My guess is if you tried to move the tank you'll crack a seam open. A one piece rubbermaid container does not have any seams. Make sure your buckets have tops that seal well since the water will slosh back and forth. But buckets will have smaller wave action than a large tote. The buckets will also help you isolate the critters from each other. The only down side is having enough heaters and pumps or transferring them from one to the other or if you can manage it have a larger bath that you can keep at 78 and put the buckets in there when you get home. Hand warmers are another option.

I agree with not doing a thorough cleaning of surfaces. You have a balanced ecosystem as long as you can avoid any major die off during the move. I'd also keep your filter medium wet during the move.

The tank looks great, I can understand why you went for it.

Good luck and share with us your results.

Oh no, I didn't mean move the tank while it was full, I meant when I got home I would just put everything in the tank not put it all in a rubbermade container.

The new tank will be cloudy for the first few hours because of the new sand. Buy some filter floss to help clear it up faster. What do you mean by the "old filter"? JBJ's don't come with filters. Do you mean media basket? If so, I would fill the chambers of the basket with filter floss and maybe a little carbon until the water clears up. Let if run for a couple of hours. It doesn't have to be perfectly clear before you put your livestock in, but the less particles in the water, the happier they will be.

Yes I meant the old floss in it sorry. And I will probably put new carbon in it right away as I already got some from marine depot along with a couple of the floss pads.

I've moved my tank several times, planning and organization are critical for success. Other people have chipped in with some really good advice. When I've moved my tank, I've temporarily held everything in Rubbermaid, red party buckets (the kind of thing you're store drinks in). They're much wider than normal buckets and you won't have to precariously stack your live and deal with fish, all the inhabitants will fit. You can then take your time setting up the new aquarium. Making sure the stand is level, etc. Let everything chill out in the bucket for several days then transfer everything. Be sure to cover your floors with plastic tarps and have plenty of towels on hand. Also count on it taking twice as long as you think it will.

Yea I am going to use 6 buckets for the move and put them in the backseat of my truck and rope them all together. I will probably put everything in the tank right away with the new sand and let them chill there permanently this way they will have their nice heat and water flow. I will drive carefully and I think everything should be fine. I will pop on here while I am doing that if I have any questions or concerns.

Moves are very stressful. It's best to let the fish recover for several days before inflicting more trauma. If you keep al the liverock corals, etc. there should be sufficient bacteria to prevent ammonia spikes. Using seasoned aquarium water will also help. Spacing liverock in the bucket should provide sufficient cover. You can always add a few pieces of pvc pipe.

Yes, the keg buckets. Don't buy the keep ones, splurge on the Rubbermaid versions made from LDPE or HDPE not mystery plastic. The brand versions are stronger and won't leech stuff.

I bagged and boxed everything like you would for overnight shipping.

The floss gets dirty quickly and starts to become a nitrate factory. Make sure you change it often. I actually don't use them anymore, but then again, I rarely have fish in that tank. Keep the original floss wet like Fishport said, but use clean floss to trap the lose sand in the beginning. When you put your livestock in, use the original floss to help with the bioload.

Do you have a plan for putting the sand and water back in without creating a dust storm?

Sean, I think he has some clowns and a neon dottyback. Those are all pretty hardy fish. I think if he waits long enough for the dust to settle, he can acclimate and release the same day or at least the next day. Plus, he's using the original liverock for his aquascaping so he probably wants to get that in the tank quickly. Did you really wait several days? I don't think I have that much patience. lol

Well folks, I got the tank to my house and got it going. What a project lol. Everything is running smooth and the coral are all opening up and the clown is all over the giant toadstool like no tomorrow. The coral banded shrimp is going from rock to rock and the dotty is completely out of sight since it went in the tank lol

Good for you! Sounds like you're enjoying your new tank. I have two neon dottybacks in different tanks. They hide in the rocks and only come out to eat. They are beautiful fish. The colors are great.

Yea it's a neon. It has been peaking out. If I feed flakes will it come out to the surface to eat?

Also any tips or tricks for my nano anyone has? I do think it needs a new halid bulb as it seems to be out of spectrum and the macro is starting to grown in the tank. Maybe tips on what I should have in the back, how often I change them and so on?

Also my tank consists of the dotty, clown and banded shrimp. What else would be recommended to add to this tank fish wise that is cool. I never had a nano and don't know what or how much can be added

Back