Sedra Mesh Wheel Mod DIY Video

I call Gustavo @ 12PM and he told me he just woke up 1/2 hour ago and did'nt even have his coffee yet.

Gustavo,

Did I leave my roll of mesh at your place?

Joe

It's been a late night....

Well - finally got around to mod'ing my 2 Sedra 9000s tonight. Strated around 6 pm. Big mistake. That turned into an Ocean Motion 4-way rebuild, a return pump that would'nt restart so required a rebuild, then a slight plumbing modification which resulted in a trip to HD for a 3/4" to 1" PVC bushing. Ah-Good Times.

Well - back on subject - the mod is nothing short of spectacular. This is the single greatest DIY mod I have done in my 6 years hobying. Thanks so much to Joe and Gustavo for suggesting it, providing the enkamat, and the video is priceless.

Alas - some photo evidence.

DSC01196.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

I can hardly believe how significant an improvement this is over the old needle wheel design. The bubbles I'm getting are tiny and the air intake is practically whistling it's drawing so much air.

DSC01201.jpg

I'm getting a really nice dry foam.

DSC01203.jpg

DSC01204.jpg

Anyone have any before and after comparisions pics videos? Do the pumps draw more or less electricity after the mod? Any chattering or issues with imbalanced impellers.

Just curious

Well we cut up my Deltec needle wheel Friday night and I was experimenting with the skimmer today. The pump is extremely loud and after about 12 hours of using it the impellar is not starting up all the time. The amount of air it was sucking in was amazing but the skimmer would need a lot of modification because the water height is not adjustable and with the air intake any more than 1/4 of the way open, the skimmer just overflows. I think I am going to try to sell the skimmer on RC minus the impellar and see if I can get what I payed for it. Support from Deltec has been so horrible that I don't want to try to fix it. I also don't want to try to cut the skimmer apart to get it to work.

Mike try a pvc valve on the return feed and the intake. You should be able to tune it better.
Carlo there is a valve on the feed to control the water level. The drain needs to be lower for the mesh mod to be usable. The water level is as low as it goes and the skimmer just overflows. Most peoiple have noticed that they need to lower their riser pipes after the mod because so much more air is injected into the body. This was my concern before doing the mod and turned out to be the case. The only way to fix it is to cut off the riser tube and replace it with a gate valve much lower to the base so the water level can be much lower. I thought about it briefly, but none of the tubes are standard size, and if it doesn't work I will have totally ruined the skimmer. Like I said, I had enough of Deltecs customer service and will never buy another on of their products.

I fired up the mesh mod on my skimmer using the same old Sedra 5000.
I do hear it's sucking more air. The foam does seem drier in the collection cup.

I'm not collecting much more, though.
I think I need a moded 9000 on this skimmer.

Mike,
The same thing happened to my Deltec when I fired it up with the mesh mod. I just kept trimming the mesh into a smaller diameter, little by little, until the level was controllable. However, when I got to that point it wasn't performing any better than the Deltec needlewheel so I ended up putting the original needlewheel back in.

I'm with you regarding Deltec support. I'll never buy another one of their products either. In fact, I'd sell my skimmer in a heart beat but the only problem is I don't know of a comparable unit that will fit in my sump.

Back