shopping for a skimmer

jebar777

Scott Stalter
BRS Member
i have a 125 i have been setting up for 2 years now.... but i am ready to move forward again..... the next purchase will be the skimmer, and i was looking for some input. Im not sure if i want in-sump or not and i think i want it to be a tad bit overkill for the 125. all comments are appreciated.

tia

I'm a fan of the octo extreme skimmers :p The 200 would be a good size for that size tank... $290 shipped from reefspecialty.com

i have a reeflo orca 200 skimmer, and i love it. it is definitely a workhorse.

I also was looking for a skimmer for my 220 that I'm building but can't afford $850+ for a skimmer... anybody else with some suggestions?

I always look here first, but if there's nothing for sale I need, go to RC. There will be something there cheap.

The orca 200 is a good skimmer. The cones are coming down in price as well. The octo extremes/msx are and have been the best bang for your buck a while now and they work. Also what is the foot print that you have available for the skimmer? Also your total water volume?

dont have a footprint, i am going to get the sump to fit the skimmer, and space isnt really a problem. so total water volume i was figuring on was going to be about 200g depending on weather or not i add a 100g stock tank or not.

ATI bubble master 200 from aquarium specialty for $500 or octo extreme 200 with the large purple pin wheel ($319)(I just purchased this one and will convert it to a recirculating skimmer) or super reef octopus a new cone skimmer w bubble blaster pump rated for 250 gal for $400. +1 on Reef specialty free shipping and best price.

Im still a downdraft fan. ETTS make some great skimmers. with a good pump they really kick arse. the big thing is the pump efficiency, most the new insump needle wheel pumps use less watts.

Back