Should the Library stay or go??

Keep or get rid of the Library

• Yes to get rid of the Library

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No to keep the Library

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The only issue I see with mailing. Is who is going to pay for all of that. The club cannot be expected to take on that kind of expense. Just my opinion.

I agree. Since the club already takes PayPal for membership dues, I assume it wouldn't be difficult for members to also pay for mailing costs for library items through PayPal if they want them mailed? I thinks its fair members pay mailing costs for the convenience.

I think it's a horrible idea that some members would like to get rid of the library. I, for one have used many of the books available at one time and have also donated a great deal of them when I was moving out to Las Vegas in 2005. I'm finally back in this hobby and little by slow have been back on these boards. A lot has changed, but I look forward to meeting new friends and re-acquainting with some old ones.

Converted DOC to PDF just for those on thread who can't open as Doc. So they can see it and further discussion.
This is obviously not dynamic so this is a snapshot of Doc today.

Attachments

• Boston Reefers Society Library.pdf
    207.6 KB · Views: 327
Thank you! I never realized what a comprehensive library the BRS had.

What would help you know Blogs? front page article? quarterly emails?

I ask as this is one of the most frustration thing s the BOD can deal with. while they can try all sort of ways to communicate it really comes down to how members use the forum

Stickies are like woodworking great for like the first 20 minutes then no one notices them.

While I am not on the BOD I know they are all going asking themselves how do we make sure the members know what benefits, contests, growouts, resources the BRS offers them. Especially when topics like this come up.

It really shouldn't come down to the point they are thinking about trashing something of value and it isn't really anyone fault other than coming to some sort of common ground of communications on the whole. (this is a general statement not directed at anyone)

I knew we had a library, just not what was in it (which sorta defeats the purpose I guess). I had seen the link to the list a few times before but was unable to open it properly as a word document (I don't have microsoft word / works on my computer).

I know we can pretty much get anything and every info about Reefing online. Hence the reason for no more BRS library. No one took interest due to the fact we have "Google" and hence the fact we think it should go out.

Just like the Thread of the Quarter" went away, the library is about to go away because of lack of membership interest. This wasn't something that we came to lightly, just a fact.

27 replies to almost 600 views and 23 votes says a lot guys... We wouldn't do anything that the active membership wouldn't condone.

We have 3 open BOD position in BRS at this point, if any member wants to volunteer/step up to change things, please speak up and run for the positions.

Higor

Last edited:
I knew we had a library, just not what was in it (which sorta defeats the purpose I guess). I had seen the link to the list a few times before but was unable to open it properly as a word document (I don't have microsoft word / works on my computer).

For anyone who does not have ms-word, there are document viewers from Microsoft as well as open office which will allow you to do the most basic things that you would do in office as well as save them in Microsoft formats.

I also think in general people are less likely to click a document link over just listing them in a post, blog, article, etc

I know we can pretty much get anything and every info about Reefing online. Hence the reason for no more BRS library. No one took interest due to the fact we have "Google" and hence the fact we think it should go out.

Just like the Thread of the Quarter" went away, the library is about to go away because of lack of membership interest. This wasn't something that we came to lightly, just a fact.

27 replies to almost 600 views and 23 votes says a lot guys... We wouldn't do anything that the active membership wouldn't condone.

We have 3 open BOD position in BRS at this point, if any member wants to volunteer/step up to change things, please speak up and run for the positions.

Higor

With that logic you should shut down the forum We have google and 10's of million of views over postings ;)

Fact is I never looked at the list as I rarely click a document link I doubt I am the minority

I know where you guy are at it is a tough place as you want some feedback. But you guys expect that when, for the most part, non of you post in the business area discussions with input. It show a lack of interest in the member input and interest. So then when you want input/interest you state they do not give input/interest, but it goes both ways.

Last edited:
This is a great collection of knowledge and I couldn't imagine it going away! I live to far away to utilize it unfortunately, but if I lived closer I would read/watch most of these.
What are we going to do when computers turn against us and steal all of our history and knowledge? Because we were dumb enough to download it all onto a server..... :p just trying to lighten up the mood. Lol

If my tank ever has ick or algae issue. Or problems with skimmer or even lightnkng related issues. I think i probably would Google to find a solution online and definitely not searching for a book to read or a vhs to watch.
Besides most of the books and video are outdated and old.reefing ways.

Last edited:
Back