• Yes to get rid of the Library

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No to keep the Library

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jdmitch

Josh
Im running this poll to find out from you the members rather or not to keep the library?
The Library is getting outdated. We ether need updated books, or we donate/raffle the Library
Yes... you want to remove the library from our club (cause you get more info faster online)
No... you would like the library to stay (cause you like the printed info with data)

I voted no only cause it seems to me it's never utilized from previous discussions. I did however try to download the library list a few months back to see what was available, but had a issue with opening up the file due to some weird file format if memory serves me right. I have no idea what is available for the library, especially now since my membership ran out i can't download it again to browse the selections.

I Haven't voted yet. Still deciding. I use to always try and take advantage of the Library years ago and was a big proponent. The issue then was that Items I wanted were never available. Its my understanding that their was always an issue with timely if at all returns.

I am leaning both ways. First I wonder if the more popular items are still available or had gone missing. If the best of the Library is no more. Than maybe the auction and end of Library is way to go. If the best books are still there than maybe a partial auction and update with some new items. We could create a wish list.

Either way I remember the Club Librarian job was by far not much fun and a pain. So that should be part of the decision.

If the decision is to end the Library or reduce it greatly. I like to see if their were proceeds from a Library sale. That maybe we could use those funds to get some new shared Item to benefit club members. Sounds like another poll.

Either way I will check the list again and see if anything I want is available. To loan or purchase at auction.

Okay, I'll be the "keeper". Just don't ask me to give them out! :p
Seriously, if we end up auctioning these books, I'll be the first to bid! I probably have 6 years worth of Coral Magazine and I still go back and read some of the early edition on my leisure time.

OK I nominate Nick as our newest keeper of the library :cool:

Since I am in Rhode Island, the physical location of the library makes it impossible for me to use, therefore, it's not really fair for me to vote. If you keep it, try getting some e-books and maybe even put the meeting/lecture notes in the library for those of us who don't go to many meetings. :)

I did however try to download the library list a few months back to see what was available, but had a issue with opening up the file due to some weird file format if memory serves me right.

This is my issue. I can't open the list to see what's available.

Why not mailing?

You mean mail the books? I guess that would work, but I would probably use google rather than wait for the mail if I needed a quick answer. I've never looked at the list. I think a lot would depend on the book I wanted and the postage involved.

I tried to open it, and a security scan ran forever. I gave up and hit open downloads and a very nice list appeared. I'm impressed at the selection available, even videos. Hopefully, they are dvds and not vhs. If you want to consider mailing things, I would consider a few videos.

holly smokes, does nobody care about all that wealth on information being availabe, or are people just hoping to pick up some good stuff for cheap when it gets auctioned?

Since I am in Rhode Island, the physical location of the library makes it impossible for me to use, therefore, it's not really fair for me to vote. If you keep it, try getting some e-books and maybe even put the meeting/lecture notes in the library for those of us who don't go to many meetings. :)
<- Would love it if there was the option to be able to borrow a dvd with past lectures, and kept up to date with future lectures as i'm not usually able to make any of the meetings, conference's.

Are you using FF, IE , Chrome or mobile device? I think i used FF

Last edited:
Sweet I like the feedback. Well I am the keeper of the Library for now. lol I've had it for 3 years now. Since Ive had it I have organized the whole library and made a alphabetized list on the forums for it. Since I joined the club the last libraryman used to bring the whole library to the meetings that was a big pain and we used to have more books at one time as well. so i put it on the forum link below. The reasoning I bring this up is not too many books have been checked out in a bit (6 books in 3 years to be exact) I was just wondering are people getting their info from the net or other sources? So I stated the question. The library isn't a burden to me just that some of the info is getting outdated or is outdated and hasn't been used but still good info. But If we keep the Library I would like to see some updated info/books videos are welcome too. If you click on the link below there you can get a list of books and pm me what you want and i will bring them to the next meeting for pickup. If anybody has any input on what books are worth (price or info) please let me know. When i first started going to the meetings i remember seeing more books back then, but this is what we have up to date right now.
Mailing would cost to much, some books worth less than mailing $$.

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/...oks-and-Videos

I have borrowed many a book from many Brs members, library, and even my lfs, most everything can be found online tho, and those books I thought were really of value I bought a copy for myself. I know what a pain it used to be for the book keeper to lug the library around to each meeting. A mail system or downloadBle version would be awesome, don't know how that would work tho. Maybe the library policy needs some updating or something to help out

I'm on FF. I don't have word and can't open a word doc. Finally got it to work on some sketchy wordpad like deal, but at least I can see what's available now. It's quite a good sized list.

Might be worth converting the document over to a.pdf file .

The only issue I see with mailing. Is who is going to pay for all of that. The club cannot be expected to take on that kind of expense. Just my opinion.

I do agree with the library should be gone through. Keep what's worthwhile and giveaway at a raffle what is outdated. There have been a couple of books that were voted on to buy, but I don't know if that ever happened. One was something about fish disease that Christine Williams mention during one of her visits over a year ago.

Back