Skimmer Overflowing

Intheflesh

Non-member
For the last couple of weeks I've had the problem with my skimmer overflowing. It is an I-tech 100 powered by a Tunze.

I shut the skimmer off to do tank maintenance, and when I plugged it back in, it started to overflow. I played with the water level, airflow, etc with no luck. I said "eff it, ill deal with this later" and unplugged it for the time being.

Fast forward to last weekend, I was doing a water change. I got the thought that maybe it needed to break in. In the past, when my skimmer overflowed, after a few minutes it would go down on its own and operate as normal. So after the water change, I turned the skimmer back on, and it continued to over flow. I let the 'overflow' drain out into a bucket, and kept putting fresh salt water in the tank to replace the over flow.

After about 5 gallons or so over overflow, I gave up again.

My water level is about 8". I have the adjustment on the skimmer set on the lowest setting. I am out of ideas on what might be causing this.

whats your salinity and how are you measuring it? Also, have you tried running it in 5-7" range yet? I think it may be too deep... Also have you used any epoxy or treatments in your tank?

Last edited:
Usually raising the Skimmer always calms it down until it breaks/regulates it self.

Salinity is 1.025 using a refractometer. I haven't tried raising it yet. Luckily I have some egg crate lying around.

Back