SWC Extreme 160 Cone Skimmer overflowing constantly

brewtality

Non-member
I got this skimmer on Thursday. Put it in and fired it up. It is at a 9" depth. I have read that is the sweet spot for these skimmers. If I raise it up to about 6" it still overflows. Set the gate valve to keep the water as low in the skimmer as possible and maxed the air. Also tried cutting air down to minimum. No change. It has just overflowed constantly since I put it in. If I didn't put the drain hose on the cup would overflow in a matter of 10-15 seconds. I have the hose draining to the refugium the whole time and nothing has changed in the four days it has run. I've heard the stories to just let it run and it will break in but is this too long? I have not added anything to the tank. Did a water change the Sunday before I put the skimmer in. Only have 2 clowns and a dragon goby. Dozen or so coral frags. All testing is in the normal ranges. Any suggestions are appreciated.

put it in less water. I run my SWC cone skimmer in a little less than 8 inches.

leave the gate valve wide open

what pump is running on it?

raise it up a couple more inches and keep the gate valve wide open and it should settled in fine after a couple of days lower it slowly till you find your best setting
I find skimmers to be trial and error something that works for someone else may not give you the same results

did you rinse out the skimmer out of the box before you fired it up in your sump? I've heard that a coating is sometimes on the acrylic and needs to be cleaned with vinegar

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I will try lowering it. I did not not clean it off before putting it in. The pump is whatever it comes with. The Sicce maybe? Not sure.

My father has the same skimmer with a slightly different impeller..open it up all the way like the others said. If he cleans it or adds any chems (like redslime remover) the skimmer will take 1-4 days to break in depending on what was done. Just have the skimmer overflow drain line return back to the sump until it breaks in...I had it drain through a filter sock to help with bubbles but thats your call. Water changes can help if youve done chems. One thing I will say is that once broken in it skims like crazy! The over flowing is a PITA though.

Raised it to about 7 inches of water and it is not overflowing anymore. Pulled some really dark junk out. I had to choke the output a bit to get the bubble column up to about the top of the chamber. Should I try lowering the skimmer say to 8" and open the gate valve full or is it OK to have it choked back some? Also choked air back a bit to get some finer bubbles. I hear that is preference to wet or dry skimming but I am new so not really sure. Thanks for all the help!!!

the bubble column should not be at the top of the chamber....that's too high. glad you're getting some gunk

Back