skimmer poll

PRTA79

Non-member
IM going to be buying a new skimmer soon.
i like the nautilus ex 24 its rated up to 400gals

i was wondering if you guys could let me know what brand
your using, and tell me some pros and cons ???

Aqua C EV 240 running in sump

20gal fuge

38gal sump (running volume 15gal)

Last edited:
When you answer can you also add what size tank you are using it on. (total water volume).

I am interested in the responses as well and I thought that added info. might be of some value.

30 gallon tank for me (~40 gallons of water w/sump/fuge) and I use a Aqua C-Urchin and its okay.

I'm using a DIY skimmer similar to a Euroreef 6-2+ (but a bit larger) on my 65g+15g system. It works very well. Certainly a bit overkill for that size tank (but I can always remedy that problem some day, right? ;))

Just bought a ETSS Reef Devil Deluxe on RC and Ive heard great things about Etss and their skimmers.

Euro Reef 8-1 on a 300 galllon system and I need to upgrade to a 12-1 soon

If you want to save some money and still get the job done the Prizm works just fine. I know these are not rated as high as the Aqua's and Euro's but I've been using one on a 55gallon for 2 years and no problems.

I also have a Cyclone on my 90 gallon and it works fine although I think I like the Prizm a little better.

PRTA79 said:
IM going to be buying a new skimmer soon.
i like the nautilus ex 24 its rated up to 400gals

i was wondering if you guys could let me know what brand
your using, and tell me some pros and cons ???

75GAL SHO ,125 SUMP,
WANT A BIGGER SKIMMER NPLANING ON 300 CUSTOM IN FUTURE

Buy the skimmer you need for your next tank, not the one you have now. I have an ETSS 800, rated for 6-900gph for a pump.
Recommended for 180-400g tanks
I have heard that everyone (?) tends to overrate the capability of their skimmer
I have a 125g show, 75g fuge/frag, & a 40g sump that is usually a little over 1/2 full. so ~220g or so

Con: (maybe on all skimmers?) is getting it dialed in right
An in-sump skimmer may be better in case it overflows.Moe had the 800 & had an overflow & it caused a problem

not sure of all the pro's & cons

I have an Aqua C-urchin on my 46 bowfront+10 gallon sump+HOB fuge and I love it. it takes no adjustment and skims like the wind...if that makes any sense at all.

up to 400g looks like you have or are planing on a big tank take a look at the etss 900 they say that you do not even need to run ozone with this skimmer 2 birds one stone and its a set it and forget it skimmer lets face it there is enough to do without messing around with a skimmer.

PRTA79 said:
75GAL SHO ,125 SUMP,
WANT A BIGGER SKIMMER NPLANING ON 300 CUSTOM IN FUTURE
how far in the future?
are you running a fuge?
heavy feeder? how stocked is your tank?
budget?

I've been happy with EuroReef. I hear other brands of this style are good as well. It's a user friendly design that you almost can't screw up.

Back