Poll: Skimmer Palcement - Before or after fug?

Where is your skimmer?

• internal before fug

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • internal after fug

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • external before fug

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • external after fug

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

emabie

Non-member
ok, I am yet again redoing my system set up and want advice on where to put the skimmer. I have had to many floods do to skimmer overflows (MRC II with Mag 12) when it was external so I want to put it into one of the sumps.

So I believe it best to put the skimmer before the fug so it does not remove any pods that may make their way from the fug to the display.

I plan to have a 55g fug that drains into a custom built 68g acrylic sump and put the skimmer in the sump. However I want the fug above the sump and the return to be plumed into the sump.

I can put the skimmer pump in a section of the sump that is fed from the diverter valve on the drain so it does not get and of the fug output.

I'll post a pic of the proposed diagram shortly.

So where is your skimmer?

Last edited:
:( mine is after the fuge... poor... poor pods....

but when I get a new skimmer (in sump instead of external), it will be BEFORE the fuge and all will be well with the world!

So I dont mean to skew the poll. It says "where is your skimmer" (after the fuge) if it said "where SHOULD it be" I would vote BEFORE the fuge! :cool:

:( mine is after the fuge... poor... poor pods....

but when I get a new skimmer (in sump instead of external), it will be BEFORE the fuge and all will be well with the world!

So I dont mean to skew the poll. It says "where is your skimmer" (after the fuge) if it said "where SHOULD it be" I would vote BEFORE the fuge! :cool:

I purposefully worded it that way, I thought in theory it would be best before but I wanted to see how many people followed that.

Actually mine is separate even though I voted after.
My overflow line T's off and one feeds the fug,the other the skimmer.Then the fug overflow dumps right into the sump directly.

I have mine pump from the sump side of my fuge and drain in the fuge adds current and i had no other room.. i have all ways been told all filters aka uv, socks, bio balls,carbon all should be close to the drain.

Neither Split the overflow so one pipe goes to fuge and one goes to skimmer. than have a return in the middle

In my new setup the skimmer will be after the fuge, soo that is the way I voted.
However I agree that it is best to put the skimmer before the fuge, as the first thing the water encounters once it gets down to the sump.

If I had more room under my stand this is the way I would have done it.

Neither Split the overflow so one pipe goes to fuge and one goes to skimmer. than have a return in the middle

Are you running the skimmer from the drain preasure or are you splitting the overflow into 2 tanks. 1 skimmer one fuge then the both drain to a return?

Anyone want to post photos of their sump? I have a coralife HOB skimmer. I am going to upgrade to a sump / fug with skimmer below the tank. The missing link is that I am unable to visualise what you have from the descriptions? I can't wait for the next salt water home visit... I am dying to see this in action and be able to ask questions. So if you have a fug is that where you place your cheato (sp? ) also?

thanks!

Anyone want to post photos of their sump? I have a coralife HOB skimmer. I am going to upgrade to a sump / fug with skimmer below the tank. The missing link is that I am unable to visualise what you have from the descriptions? I can't wait for the next salt water home visit... I am dying to see this in action and be able to ask questions. So if you have a fug is that where you place your cheato (sp? ) also?

thanks!

Yep the chaeto goes in the fuge.

Here is the link to my newest tank build. http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87258
There is also a link in there to one of Ronnie's sweet sump setups. Though I am not sure if he has a fuge in there. It is still a very clean setup

Here is a picture of my sump. I ran one overflow into each end. Gate valves in rear corners) the additional pipes are my emergency drains.
Just set it up but seems to be working well so far.
IMG_0942.jpg

I don't have a fuge so i guess i can't vote

+1 :D

But I plan to have one drain dump into a 50 gallon breeder that will hold my skimmer. The second drain will either go 100% to the frag tank or 3/4 to the frag tank and 1/4 to the sump, depending on how much flow my frag tank can handle. Both skimmer and frag tanks will drain into the sump. No fuge.

But I'd put the skimmer before the fuge to maximize the number of pods going to the DT.

skimmer?

I always thought before the fuge is best, although bot my Pro Clear aquatics sump/fug setups don't really allow this. My new system will be three tiers: A sump with mech/chemical filtration on the way in, draining into two 55's, one is a DSB with calerpa, the other can be isolated to be used for water changes, Quarantine, maybe a frag tank. Both 55's will overflow into a large sump basin for return. The skimmer will draw from the first tier and return to the 55 with the DSB etc.(my fug)

Back