Poll: Skimmer Palcement - Before or after fug?

Where is your skimmer?

• internal before fug

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • internal after fug

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • external before fug

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • external after fug

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
I have my skimmer after the fuge out of convience (that was the easiest way to plumb it).

I think the fuge out competes the skimmer this way. I don't get a whole lot of skimmate out of my fancy skimmer, but I sure do grow a lot of cheato.

I have my skimmer after the fuge out of convience (that was the easiest way to plumb it).

I think the fuge out competes the skimmer this way. I don't get a whole lot of skimmate out of my fancy skimmer, but I sure do grow a lot of cheato.

Thats one way to do it, use the fug first so you get nutrients out that way. But the downside is that you can skim out any beneficial pods.

Thanks for all the votes and replies.

I am going to split my overflow and send only what flow the skimmer will process to it then send the rest to the fug. I think it will work well.

Thanks for all the votes and replies.

I am going to split my overflow and send only what flow the skimmer will process to it then send the rest to the fug. I think it will work well.

Yeah, from what everyone says, your skimmer won't process all of the water that comes its way unless it's enormously oversized.

fuges are over rated ;) .

Seriously though, I find that they are a lot of work to keep clean.. and they need to be pretty large to do a decent job with nutrient export. Only reason i'd personally have a fuge is if i really wanted to keep a mandarin, or if i was having a lot of trouble keeping my PH up at night time.

To each his own though.

Back