Slight fishy odor

N

number1gsxxr

Does anyone else get a slight fishy odor in the room that your tanks are located only on hot days? Is this normal? How how do you get rid of it?

I never had any odors with my 46-gal tank but I'm definitely noticing a slight fishy smell with my 75-gal. It's only noticeable if you just walk into the room. Or if I literally stick my head into my sump and almost touch the water. I'm not running a skimmer so the smell is not coming from that.

Nothing has died in my tank, all parameters look good, and I just replaced the carbon a few days ago. What's also strange is I only seem to notice it when it's a hot day. Like the 75-gal is evaporating more water into the air than the 46-gal and that's why I never had this problem before.

I've heard of using a box of baking soda near the tank. Open it and set it under the stand near the sump or on top of the tank. Does this work? Any ideas?

The humidity does it - makes it worse.

Get a Skimmer, change carbon, and maybe the baking soda isn't such a bad idea either.

They just have a 'natural' smell some times....also try changing water more often.

Kind of funny thread, I had my niece walk into the house the other day, (now the tanks are in the back rooms and basement). The first thing she said was, it smells like the ocean in here, so I asked High tide or low tide. She replied Just the ocean.. I was like OH good.
Michelle

Thanks for the replies. It's not a terrible smell or anything and to be honest, once you are in the room for a minute you don't notice it anymore.

Happens to my tank too. I was thinking this exact thinglastnight and agree it's likely due to humidity. before i'd only smell that "seaweed" smell as my parents put it, when my head was close to the water like when I feed or clean stuff up.

But the last few nights, walking into my room alone (I usually have my door closed) I could certainly smell the ocean. Maybe not the most pleasant smell in the world, but not as bad as the smell it's now emitting from freshly cut xenia frags... -_-

Oh yes they are doing very well now. Have them pierced and working on attachment to rock. They are fully open and extended swaying in the flow. Had to explain to my girlfriend why they don't pulse, lol. She's like "They're dead! They don't pulse!" I was like "Well if they were dead, they probably wouldn't be opened and extended... :p" And told her there's like a hundred different xenia. I like these guys. They don't smell anymore btw.

I had the ocean odor myself the past few days. You either stop noticing it, or it just comes and goes. I have had no odor issues with the HOB remora skimmer and it is right on the tank in the living room. The skimmer noise.. that is another matter ;P

Happens to my tank too. I was thinking this exact thinglastnight and agree it's likely due to humidity. before i'd only smell that "seaweed" smell as my parents put it, when my head was close to the water like when I feed or clean stuff up.

But the last few nights, walking into my room alone (I usually have my door closed) I could certainly smell the ocean. Maybe not the most pleasant smell in the world, but not as bad as the smell it's now emitting from freshly cut xenia frags... -_-

the only tank smell more powerful than fresh cut xenia is a dead turbo snail....now THERE'S a smell that will get you to sit up and take notice.....:rolleyes:

I know a lot of people here have dogs, which I know they will agree, but I'll take dead reef smell over doggy butt glands any day...

Back