slight leak in acrylic tank??

Lamin8or

Non-member
I am making an old acrylic tank into a sump. Before adding the baffles and such, I put some water in in to check for leaks. I have found that there is a very slight leak at one of the seems on the bottom. I was thinking of putting a little WELD-On #3 in the area of the leak hoping this would fill it in...Do you think this will work?? or should I just use silicone??? Any suggestions are welcome!

Silicone doesn't bond to acrylic. Weld on would be better. One thing you could do is let a tiny piece of acrylic melt in some weldon and then smear it in there.

I'd skip the acrylic and just use the thin weld-on. If the crack is very tight (slow leak) then the thin stuff will repair it like new. If you use thick 16 (which is basically acrylic melted into solvent glue) it won't make as clean a joint, and it's even possible the paste won't get into the crack to seal it up.

Silicone won't work at all.

Maybe use the #3 or #4 , let it cure, then glob #16 all over the inside of the leak area for insurance. Let it all cure for a couple of days or so then water test again.

Or try to fix with #3 or #4, then get messy with #16 if it still leaks a bit.

$.02

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back