Mesh Lid for a Slight Bowfront?

wpeterson

BRS Member
I've got a 28gal Cadlights reef tank I bought used and I'm equiping now. It has a slight bowfront in the curved glass (about 1" of bow out over 24" length).

I've built DIY mesh screen tops using BRS clear mesh netting and DIY rectangular screen framing kits. This doesn't seem ideal for this use case. I could build a rectangle that hangs over the bow-front or one too small that leaves the lip open. Neither of these seems appealing.

Does anyone have advice about how to build a proper lid/top for a tank like this?

Here's a top-down view:
28G%20Top%20view.jpg

Link to tank details.

Any ideas or advice is much appreciated.

If you get a peice of wood and trace the curve and cut it out then it would be an exact fit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

If you get a peice of wood and trace the curve and cut it out then it would be an exact fit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

That's a great idea. An extended, bowed lid off the aluminum screen frame? That works.

I don't know how handy you are but you could take a piece of acrylic and route out the curve. Then cut strips for the rectangular part. Make 2 frames and then press them together with the screen in between. It's a more difficult plan but the finished piece will look like it was part of the tank.

I believe I read on RC that someone did one for a 46 bowfront by using the typical aluminum window frame and heating / bending it to fit the shape of the curve. I'll try to dig up the thread/picture.

I picked up my biocube from a member here and he included a piece of acrylic that was cut to fit the shape of the front glass. It is a full cover right now but I might plan on doing what cilyjr suggested and cutting out a large portion of the middle and adding the screen there. Just can't figure out a way to keep it clean looking.

I picked up my biocube from a member here and he included a piece of acrylic that was cut to fit the shape of the front glass. It is a full cover right now but I might plan on doing what cilyjr suggested and cutting out a large portion of the middle and adding the screen there. Just can't figure out a way to keep it clean looking.

I did this with my 24" x 24" cube...
Made a top out of 1/4" acrylic 2" from all sides cut out center.
Used BRS white mesh on top of cutout drilling 2 little holes in each corner of cut out to secure the mesh with a white zip tie.
Then used a rectangle piece of clear rod 4" for a lid handle glued on lid.

ONLY SUGGESTION USE THICKER ACRYLIC AS HEAT EVEN FROM LEDS AND WATER WILL WARP LID.
I flip it each month and it slowly bends back from slight bow...lol

To the question above: I also used the clear rods glued to the sides of rimless to hold lid.. cant see it when you look at tank .. very clean.

Last edited:
Back