Solar power

dharmajedi

Non-member
Do people think a metal halide would be able to run a small solar powered object. My thinking is I need to put a Fan on my Halide year round. So what if i put a solar cell inside the canopy? Would the fan run? Any input would be great.

This is a great idea. Whether it'll work, I have no idea. What I do know is solar cells are extremely inefficient at this time. You would need a pretty large panel(costly) to run even a small computer fan.
The problem I see with this is, where are you mounting the panel?

Thats the thing i was just curious if it would even work. I think though if i were to mount a panel it would be on the sides of the canopy anything to close and the bulb would melt it i assume.

I think you are better off using electicity to make light, and using electricity to turn the fan. Using electricity to make light then converting the light to electricity again (losing most of the electricity in the process) seems a pretty inefficient way to go. OTOH, if your light fixture is in a fixed position or you need to keep it up high because of heat concerns and therefore a lot of light is spilling out of the tank, then I cannot think of why not to have it power a fan...but I agree that you might have trouble generating enough power for a fan.

OTOH, if your light fixture is in a fixed position or you need to keep it up high because of heat concerns and therefore a lot of light is spilling out of the tank, then I cannot think of why not to have it power a fan.

Yeah i agree it would be wasting light to have a light to run the fan. But the canopy has several spots of useless space that could hold a couple small cells. Plus they would provide some reflecting of light back into the reflector. Just an idea. Figured i could save a couple bucks a year :D

You're not losing anything. Why would you lose energy if the theory is to have your existing light set up but somehow implement a solar panel to power up a fan?

Using electricity to make light then converting the light to electricity again (losing most of the electricity in the process) seems a pretty inefficient way to go.

Last edited:
Bummer that the Thin Film photo voltaic technology isn't very common yet... Relatively inexpensive and efficient...I don't understand why this is taking so long...? The manufacturers were bragging about this 10 years ago.

Anywho, I like the idea. If you are running the light anyway, and can set up so as not to shade the tank then why not.

>You're not losing anything. Why would you lose energy if the theory is to have your existing light set up but somehow implement a solar panel to power up a fan?<

As I stated, if this is for an existing set up, yes you would not be losing anything. Let me restate...

If your goal with lighting is to grow corals, then you are best off getting the right sized light for your tank and setting it up in such a way that all, or very nearly all of the light goes directly down onto the corals and does not spill out of the tank. If you are forced due to heat generation or just the current configuration of the light to raise the fixture and therefore waste light is landing on areas other that those growing corals, then yes, you cannot 'lose' anything by having something suck up that light and power something. However, even in that situation, you might be better off (more efficient over all) by keeping the light closer to the tank (if possible) and powering a fan directly with electrical energy.

It will take you about 2 years to break even with your investment. Based on you running you lights for 12hrs a day, @$.10 per Kw/hr. You will need to purchase 2 solar panels ($174) per fan (12v 107cfm axial fan $33).

watts x hrs x rate per hr=$

(I think I have the math right:rolleyes:)

Your math is wrong...It's more like 100years!!

2x panel=$174.00
1x 12v fan=$30.00 (what a pricey fan)
total investment=$204.00

Electricity rate: 0.10 $/KW.Hr

The numbers of hrs it takes to run the fan(5W fan) to get your $204.00 back is
(0.10$/KW.Hr)*.005KW*X=$204.00
X=408000 hrs

You are running for 12hrs a day, 365days a year.
Total hrs/yr is 12x365=4380hr

Number of years it takes to get your money back?
408000/4380=93.15 effing years!!!

This is why we don't all go installing solar panel on our roof.

It will take you about 2 years to break even with your investment. Based on you running you lights for 12hrs a day, @$.10 per Kw/hr. You will need to purchase 2 solar panels ($174) per fan (12v 107cfm axial fan $33).

watts x hrs x rate per hr=$

(I think I have the math right:rolleyes:)

My plan is to get rid of the metal halides.
Using t5 and LED technology drop the power
consumption from ~600 watts to ~220. I won't
need a fan if I design the hood correctly.
I will then power the light with solar panels.
I have been slowly collecting the parts.
I have to mow the lawn first.

Attachments

• solar1.JPG
    solar1.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 229
  • solar2.JPG
    solar2.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 228
  • solar3.JPG
    solar3.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 231
a little off topic but i took a lawn light that you see at home depot they light your walk way or driveway, they have a small solar panel that charges a small battery during the day which in turn powers a led for night time. i took it a part and was thinking of making
moon lights for my tank, mostly just to eliminate one more plug that needed a space in my power strip. it did work however mounting it in my hood just got my annoyed and i lost intrest. however i think the theroy would work depending on what you can get for solar panels and how much current they can collect vs powering a fan with enough cfm to provide a cooling effect

My plan is to get rid of the metal halides.
Using t5 and LED technology drop the power
consumption from ~600 watts to ~220. I won't
need a fan if I design the hood correctly.
I will then power the light with solar panels.
I have been slowly collecting the parts.
I have to mow the lawn first.
Attached Images

What is the carbon footprint of said mower in comparison to the lighting rig? :D

I know radio shack has small solar panels that produce something along the lines of 6 volts and a computer fan uses 12 volts... I think I may try some experimenting.

This is why we don't all go installing solar panel on our roof.

But no one can really compare a 250w MH bulb to the sun. Using panels with the highest efficiency panels in the correct area usually can yield a payback of 20 to 40 years, depending on your system, your energy lifestyle/consumption, your rate (0.14 KW up here) and whether or not your putting excess power back on the grid.

For low power lifestyles solar panels are great. But, for the average reef aquarists who pushes 100 to 200 bucks in electricity it's probably not the move that will get you monetary payback. It would however, reduce whatever carbon footprint one has.

Back