Southdown

It's pretty much impossible to find these days. Your only hope is to find someone that has kept some hidden away and then convince them to sell you some. A lot of people have been using Kolorscape sand, but IMO, it looks nothing like SD.

I am in the process of re-using sand for my tank upgrade only way to go. just watch the Board plenty of free sand around, rinse dry and re-use.

i personally think its too fine. I think your better off using the caribsea sand...plus the color is nicer. jm2c

The perfect scenerio...........I 40 lb bag of SD....(3) 25 lb bags of Carib Sea aragonite...Rinse very well in ro/di..
Off topic but here we go.......

Once clear....on your next water change from you old system ....... use the water you take out of your running system & rinse it in that as well before adding to the new tank....You are also seeding it, that way as well with bennificial bacteria present in the water column. This helps to buffer the concentrated dust left over that were not removed from the rinse...

I usually rinse my SD at least 3 times in small amounts!!! You should see.....It's amazing the crap that comes out of it!!!!.....Leaves...... sticks....dirt...:eek:

So if you can find say 3 or 4 bags of SD you will be in good shape......You could also buy some live sand as well....50.00 shipped to you r door for 25 lbs I believe....that is pretty fair for live sand seeing that the CSA is gonna cost you at least 30.00 per bag!!! (if you can't find SD)

As far as using sand over....The buffering capacity in live sand in a closed system really only last 3 to 4 years.....At that point it becomes to mushy from administering co2 into the closed system...(it breaks down & lowers the buffering capacity......)

HTH & I didn't bother you by going a bit off topic.
B

i personally think its too fine. I think your better off using the caribsea sand...plus the color is nicer. jm2c

I used southdown in my 75g.. will never do that again, sand storm city!

Usually people that feel this way haven't used the sand for long, or their sand never was fully "populated". I used to feel the same as you until my sandbed got fully established. My sand does not blow around at all unless I point a PH down at it (which would blow up Carib Sea too). It also settles quickly once established.

I'm with Steve on this one. I used recycled southdown on both tanks and my refugium. I'm running close to 25x of flow in my 92, and I have zero sandstorms, unless a nanostream clamp breaks.......

I also have what is probably 50 or 60 pounds of rinsed dried stuff in 2 old totes.....It's going into a RDSB I'm going to build when I do my next major plumbing change after the holidays.

Usually people that feel this way haven't used the sand for long, or their sand never was fully "populated". I used to feel the same as you until my sandbed got fully established. My sand does not blow around at all unless I point a PH down at it (which would blow up Carib Sea too). It also settles quickly once established.

I'm with Steve on this one. I used recycled southdown on both tanks and my refugium. I'm running close to 25x of flow in my 92, and I have zero sandstorms, unless a nanostream clamp breaks.......

Ditto

We are using what we have in the 180... rather silly not to. I am estimating 3-4 bags of SD would do it. Oh, this is going to be SO much fun!

It must be your pump placement...IMO, you would have the same issue with CaribSea. I've used both and had issues with both until the beds were loaded with life.

I intend to use my old sandbed, but I only have 1 bag of southdown stored and so I will need a little bit more. I have not had any problems with sandstorms after my initial start up.. well there was that Tomato clown that aerated it for me all the time until he was captured and moved to a new home... but that is a different story.

Brian, I was also considering getting a few bags of live sand, just for the replenishing factors. My sand bed has been in for a few years now and needs some refreshing...

Thanks everyone for the input... I love this club for everyones ideas!
Iffer :)

I intend to use my old sandbed, but I only have 1 bag of southdown stored and so I will need a little bit more. I have not had any problems with sandstorms after my initial start up.. well there was that Tomato clown that aerated it for me all the time until he was captured and moved to a new home... but that is a different story.

Brian, I was also considering getting a few bags of live sand, just for the replenishing factors. My sand bed has been in for a few years now and needs some refreshing...

Thanks everyone for the input... I love this club for everyones ideas!
Iffer :)

You need a link LMK I'll pm you...
B

Back