SouthDown sighting...

marco67

Smart is.. a box of rocks
BRS Member
Well sort of

Have you seen the new Carib sea"Ocean Direct" ?

I tried a few bags recently and when placed on top of a Southdown bed you can not tell the difference. It also has that nice "soft feel" that I've not seen since SD and not "dusty" or "cloudy" at all.

Why do I call it a SD sighting?
Back in the day ~5-6 years ago when south down started re labeling bags "not safe for aquariums" it was rumored that this was because they did a lot of private label work for Carib Sea. Fast forward to Old Castle stone being bought by Yard Right and Yard Right closing the SD plant.
When buying a few of the last available tons a few years ago I was told by the rep that the rights to that particular product (I assume collection area?) were sold to a company that they used to do a lot of business with, Carib Sea maybe?

Anyway... It's a nice product, worth a try.

Nope same a HD used to have it $5/ 40# bag

:p NOT :D

LOL Seriously it's the same as most LFS sand I'm not sure what retail would be but figure ~$28-$30/ 40# bag ??? something like that.

It's a common item from Royal (supplier most LFSs use) so I'd imagine most stores would be willing to bring it in for you if they don't already have it.

Makes me glad that when I just moved apartments I hauled the 3 bags of SD I bought years ago with me.

Marc - do you know any of the Carribean suppliers of sand? I am thinking the BRS or a bunch of us would be willing to make a very large purchase in order to get us all cheap sand in the future.

Marc - do you know any of the Carribean suppliers of sand? I am thinking the BRS or a bunch of us would be willing to make a very large purchase in order to get us all cheap sand in the future.

second that.

Marco has rubble, big rocks make little rocks, crushed rubble? hmmm, might have a new item to market :D

if your right Marc think of the markup they are making :(

Last edited:
Of course I've looked into it :D
Anyone that knows me could guess that :)

The thing you can't get around is trucking cost. Even at 10 tons it runs better than $.20/ pound thats $8/ bag just in shipping, add product cost to that and it just gets too pricey.
Honestly you might do better to just get a sponsor to do a group buy through Royal or Carib Sea.

Back