Spa-Flex to PVC

inkslinger

Non-member
I wanted to make sure that the spa-flex went into the PVC all the way in so I sanded the PVC inside so I could push the spa-flex in without any problem ,
I also did this with PVC to PVC and made sure that they went all the way inside then prime and coated both ends and applied a thick coat of glue , Will the spa-flex leak if I do the same thing?

No need to sand the inside, the primer and adhesive will soften the PVC allowing the pipe or Spa-flex to completely seat.

Jim

I don't know how much of a concern this is? I was told, by the guys at Savko, to not use typical PVC cement and to use IPS Weld-On PVC 795 or Oatey Flexible PVC cement for spa-flex.

I just use regular primer and glue on spa flex. It won't dry fit worth a darn so you have to questimate a little. Once the glue is on the spa flex will seat fulling into the PVC fittings. I wouldn't sand them down, that sounds sketchy.

Measuring tape lol sorry had to. Jim is correct. If none of the specialized glues are available to you, use the heavy duty cement. The thicker glues have a higher solids content. I do not use primer on the flex pvc just on the rigid pvc.

We do alot of plumbing, some I work with beleive by light sanding you create groves that will allow cement to better adhere. It won't hurt, some cements setup faster than others. Again you won't go wrong using what you have. When applying cement use a little extra it gives you more time and slides in easier. You may have to hold it in for a few seconds. Don't worry about PSI's, you should be all set for life.

j5hughes send this to me:

Hey I was just reading your thread & wanted to reply in your thread, but my membership is expired & I couldnt. Anyways I used some spaflex when I plumbed my system about 18 months ago, & I used to have to shut down my pump and undo a union & disconnect my feed to the refugium in order to remove my skimmer collection cup, it was a pain. so long story short one of the joints on that refugium line got some stress over the past 18 months & the last time I cleaned the skimmer cup & put it all together fired the pump on started opening the ball valve to feed the refugium bam water started shooting out all over the place the spaflex just shot out of the joint. I had not used the special glue just regular primer and cement, so I would not use spaflex without the right glue. Just wanted to share that if you want maybe you could post this in your thread.

Justin.

Last edited:
Back