SPS nano tank: Mini Clac reactor vs 2 part dosing

P-Nut

Non-member
I know someone that has an SPS nano tank (10 gallons with nothing but SPS). He asked me if he should get a mini calc reactor. I use dosing pumps in my tank, so I wasn't able to answer his question. But, I was bored and started doing some reading on mini calcium reactors, and now I'm curious.

What is your opinion?

Please, explain why you think one is better than the other.

Dong, stop promoting methods that are applicable to you but not to others.
I will never suggest a calcium reactor on a tank that is less than <55gallon never mind a 10gallon. Low PH will be issue. The CA media dissolved at 7.0 PH or below. You don't have to be a genius to know what will happen in a 10gallon tank. A lot of components on the ca reactor can fail. Feeding pump, CO2 regulator, solenoid, needle valve, media chamber, can all be malfunctioned.

The container cost me <$20 to make. It consists of a 10 gallon and two glass baffles. Each compartment is about 3gallons and it will last me about a year before I have to fill anything. How fancy you want your dosing pumps to be is your choice. Clean, simple, and effective.
original.jpg

Last edited:
100ml alk, 80ml ca, and 20ml MG daily.

original.jpg

Wow! That is gorgeous!

I will need to do a setup like your dosing pumps soon.

There are too many SPS frags in my RSM 130D. I am keeping up with all parameters by doing 20-25% water changes weekly and Kalkwasser in my ATO, but can see signs of it not being enough.

BRO. Explain what goes into each of those brews exactly if you don't mind. Is that contraption automated or do you push the buttons?

I don't push buttons. Everything is controlled and automatically dosed by the controller.
Bulk Reef Supply alkimity, Calcium, and magnesium mix. And some prayer to the reef god.
I use a more diluted solution then the recommended recipe because this allows me to dose more often around the clock for a more stable parameters. If your tank need 40ml of alk a day, it's better to diluted the solution with 1:1 RODI and dose 80ml a day. And spread that 80ml around the clock. Don't do 10ml at a time 8 times. Do 4ml 20times.

I read a thread on here that if you use Petco seawater you don't need to dose anything. Ever. You can have thousands of corals in your tank. it must be amazing stuff....

smh

I read a thread on here that if you use Petco seawater you don't need to dose anything. Ever. You can have thousands of corals in your tank. it must be amazing stuff....

smh
I loled. Petco seawater Is not magic. The only way someone with a tank like "This is me" could keep their parameters as stable and high as he does would be with constant large percentage water changes. With that said, people who use natural sea water tend to pre-dose the water before adding it due to the low levels of ca, alk and mg. With a nano it might not be as bad, but frequent water changes will still be necessary. Lets not get too off topic, there's another thread on this site to discuss natural sea water.

smh
That was a load of BS.
You do need to dose, no matter what water you use.

The only way to not dose is to plumb it straight to the ocean. Or change A LOT of water.

I was joking. The person using it also said they had an alk of 10 which is impossible without dosing anything.

Back