Stress Coat marine question

Dave Y

Non-member
API Stress Coat with Aloe Vera (marine) says that it is designed for use with protein skimmers and will not foam.
Question:
Does anyone know what exactly what the anti-foaming additive is??

This is sort of a rhetorical or “dah” question: if you used more than the recommended amount, is that going to retard or worse, prevent foam production??

I have a used ETSS reef which is not producing foam at all.
All the obvious issues have been checked…now down to possible additives as the problem.

Any insight welcome.
Thanks.
Dave

Follow-up

Huh??? that post sure didn’t get too many views…

Follow up for anyone interested:
I called API…they answered the question…but that was about it.
The ant-foaming agent is proprietary…no information given.

As far as I know, that product is not commonly used around here so there may be few if any people who have any input on it. I know nothing about it, but I would guess that what's on the label is more marketing than anything else (they might figure that at least someone would think slime coat > slime > skimmer might go nuts?)

I would throw it out there that downdraft skimmers can sometimes be a bit quirky to set up. Also, as with many/most other skimmers, just having your hands in the tank can cause the foam to collapse (and then tuning starts to seem impossible..)

Can you tell about how it's plumbed, what pump is feeding it, where/how the skimmer and especially the skimmer outlet are situated? Maybe post a pic?

Thank you.
I sort of figured it wasn’t a popular item…but I figured I’d throw it out there for possible feedback.
I’m FOWLR as of right now but I’ll be looking for frags very soon…as in, I’ll be posting WTB in about 5 minutes.

Follow-up…ditched the downdraft, strong water change (no additive) bumped up salinity just a tab, and oh yea, got a “new” skimmer.
6 hours later, poof…foam!
For SAG, I’ll be putting the downdraft skimmer back on line soon to see if anything changed.

Back