struggling to keep PH where I am used to seeing it

jdemarco

Non-member
My PH typically ranges from 7.95 at night to 8.15/8.2 during the day. I usually dose KENT buffer to raise PH and ALK about once every 1 1/2-2weeks.....for the last month i am struggling to keep PH above 8.0 even during the day and at night I am dipping to 7.8 now which scares me!!!....i run lights on refugium opposite DT schedule and I am running biopellets but that is nothing new (i know that causes drop in PH initially).....i run an open top tank and i am agressively skimming and stirring the surface with koralia as per usual....i know that people have similar issues during winter but I have been dosing almost every 2nd or 3rd day now and even that doesnt sustain the PH above 8.1....and within hours it drops back down to the range mentioned above and as soon as the next night i seem to be tetering on verge of TOO LOW....i can understand why with a closed up house in the winter with pellets running that i might have to dose more often but why is the dose even helping???????....i use a pinpoint PH monitor which i calibrated a few weeks ago. any words of wisdom....anyone else have same levels? anyone think i am flirting woth danger of either dosing too much or at risk of losing livestock with these levels???

I'd keep your normal dosing schedule. 7.8 is no big deal IMHO. Mine ranges 7.8-8.1 all year long.

I would just maintain your alk levels. Unless pH is getting below about 7.6 or so, I would give it no concern. Just keep an eye on how much it fluctuates between lights on and lights off. My pH consistently runs between 7.7 or 7.8-8.0 and I have never had any problems. It is not a parameter that I am concerned with as long as alkalinity is in line.

7.8 is nothing to worry about many tanks especially tanks with CA reactors on them run Lower PH

I would highly recommend against temporary dosing to get PH where you want it. Stability is more important than actual number in most cases. The system has a natural balance and will fight you until you break. You need to either change your system to make the adjustment or live with it. Depending on where your skimmer is you can try venting the out put outside. This helps even more if you run your CA reactor effluent through it.

Back