Struggling to get my Alk up

meemoo

Non-member
My Alk has been low 7.0-8.0 and I am adding b-ionic. I have tried adding more Alk part 1, but no change. Is there a safe way to get my Alk up. My CA by the way is 425 and has been in the 400's since the tank has been set up. I don't want to screw up my param's and everything seems to be growing fine. Also can someone explain how a kalk reactor works and if getting one would help.

You want to be careful bringing your alk up too fast because it will raise your ph. You can drip in Randy's recipe (bake 2 1/4 cups of baking soda in a 300 degree oven for 1 hour then add to 1 gallon of water). I mix this up, then I drip it in very slowly using a cheap Aqualifter pump.

That's what I was afraid of. I don't want to have my Ph or other params change cause they are where I want them. The whole baking soda thing scares me for some reason.

meemoo said:
That's what I was afraid of. I don't want to have my Ph or other params change cause they are where I want them. The whole baking soda thing scares me for some reason.

From what I understand, baking soda won't raise your PH above 8.0 if you don't bake it in the oven.........

meemoo said:
If you raise Alk, you raise PH. Why does baking soda scare you? When My alk get around 7-8 dKH in my tank (75 Gal), I put 6 teaspoons of baking soda in a liter bottle and fill it with tank water. Then I pour it into my overflow slowly so it mixes with my sump water before going into the display tank. It always boosts my alk up and doesn't cause too much of a spike in PH. I have never seen anything in my tank react negatively to it.

I have read too many horror story's of people putting things in their tank that screwed up thier parameters. Just being overly cautious. My auto topoff drips slowly like one drip per second. Could I put the mixture in that and just monitor the Ph?

two parts will not raise levels,they will at best maintain levels on lightly stocked systems.Use washing soda,this is the same a baked baking soda except you won't need to do the baking.It will raise ph signicantly if you add it too quickly.Your dripping regime should be fine though.

Dripping is fine, but tedious if you're trying to make adjustments. I always used washing soda or baking soda disolved in RO water, and add it about a cup at a time, every 30 minutes or so, until the level is testing where I want it.

Nate

Since I don't know where to get washing soda and I'm making cookies today :) I will bake 2 1/4 cups of baking soda in a 300 degree oven for 1 hour then add to 1 gallon of RODI water. And drip it like I do my topoff. Any other suggestions.

you can find washing soda near laundry detergent in the supermarket or walmart. It's a "detergent booster" whatever that means.

What kind of cookies?

meemoo said:
Since I don't know where to get washing soda and I'm making cookies today :) I will bake 2 1/4 cups of baking soda in a 300 degree oven for 1 hour then add to 1 gallon of RODI water. And drip it like I do my topoff. Any other suggestions.

That should cover it. I would drip it slower than your regular top off though. You might only need a cup or two to do the trick. Personally, I would do as nate suggested, and just add a cup at a time and monitor your kh and ph.....

what does 2 1/4 cups give you for a raise in how many gallons of water.
I only need 7 teaspoons of washing soda to raise 1.5 dkh in 180 gallons

Nate- Halloween sugar cookies for the kids. :

Itelus -That's a good question about how much it will raise the Alk. I have a 56g so am I gonna overdo it with the 2 1/4 cups.

Am I correct in that I want to shoot for 3.5meq/l? Also that chart does not say how much water to disslove the baking soda in or am I missing something?

Maybe it's time to think about a Calcium reactor. You get both ALK and Calc.
And if you set it up right, it truely is a "set it and forget it" thing. Well, you'll have to refill the media everything 8-12months but thats about it.

Back