Such thing as too much Rock

buffalobill

Non-member
I start looking at other peoples setups and I realize maybe I should change my tank and take out some rock. My tank rockwork looks like a big wall. I have some nice pieces and then I have some not so nice. I think I have too many rocks and therefore the flow is not as good. I have two tangs in my ninety so I think they need more room to swim. What would be drawbacks to taking some rock out. What would be the positives? I have no rocks in my sump would that be a good place for the small pieces. Also if I do decide to take some pieces out what exactly do they need to stay fresh so later down the road if I get a bigger tank or decide to sell I could. Thanks
buffalobill

Yes, there is such a thing as too much rock. You want a lot of rock, but you also need enough openings in the rock work to allow for good circulation of water and for critters to get in there and clean up crap that floats behind it and settles.

Yes, there is such a thing as too much rock. You want a lot of rock, but you also need enough openings in the rock work to allow for good circulation of water and for critters to get in there and clean up crap that floats behind it and settles.

YES!

I think far more aquarists have too much rock, than have too little. I also think the issues caused by too much are worse than those for too little.

In my case I lived and learned. At some point in the last 6 years, I started removing rock from my sps system due to growth. I moved the excess to the sump, where it still provided biological filtration.

As Steve mentioned, too much rock in the display can lead to dead spots, especially when things grow out. My new system will have a limited amount of rock in the display fwiw.

Joe

the only thing about rock in the sump, is that you have to either have some way to control detris, or you'll need to remove and siphon. I keep moving rock to my sump, and I am continually fighting detris build-up. I've added a filter sock, and that seems to be helping. I am trying to avoid adding critters down there.

Back