Sump design

joesmoe45

Non-member
Installing a 20 gallon sump on my 40 gallon breeder tank. Purchased the glass-holes 700 overflow and return kit. Here is the sump design I was thinking about. Please give me your feedback as I am new to sumps and overflows.

The overflow and return kit I puchased has the return drilled. Is this a good idea? Or should I just PVC over the rim?

Sump.jpg

I would make a small change. Rather than let the return feed your refugium with skimmed water, I would split the drain and use a ball or gate valve to divert approximately 25% of the drain water to the fuge and the rest to the skimmer section. This provides dirty water at a low flow to the fuge.

Thank you this is great advice. I also received some feedback to switch the skimmer and return in order to allow for the refugium to flow directly into the return.

I would swap the skimmer and fuge sections. Drain into the first section where the skimmer would be.

The return drilled... Only problem I can think of is when return is off the water will back siphon and overflow the sump if return hole is deep enough...unless you plan for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got approximately the same setup ( 40b with glass holes overflow to 20L sump) and have the return drilled. No issues with the return as the locline puts it right near the water surface. Just drill the return high. Gives it a sleeker look with nothing going over the rim.

Thank you everyone for the great feedback

So based on comments here is my new design.

Should I put a union on the drain line?

Sump.jpg

looks good but I think you will need to valve the drain below the refugium line in order to force water that route.

This looks like a good design if you want to carefully control a lower amount of flow to your refugium.

I was considering doing the same thing for the 30 gallon sump on our new tank, but decided to simplify the design:

Drain => Skimmer => Refugium => Return

The benefit of having a lower amount of flow through the refugium and having the skimmer outflow into the refugium are concerns but didn't seem worth it.

I decided to increase the overall flow through the sump such that it was higher than the throughput of my skimmer, so the inputs to the refugium is a mix of raw tank water and skimmed water. The benefit of having a simpler flow through the sump seemed worth it. Something to consider, unless you have unusually delicate creatures in your refugium.

Any concerns about the refugium not getting enough raw water were ruled out in practice - the macro algae doubles in size every 4 weeks or so.

I was considering doing the same thing for the 30 gallon sump on our new tank, but decided to simplify the design:

Drain => Skimmer => Refugium => Return

The benefit of having a lower amount of flow through the refugium and having the skimmer outflow into the refugium are concerns but didn't seem worth it.
This is how mine is setup as well. It was my first sump and simplicity and ease of plumbing won. Same thing- macro grows fine and no fine tuning, tweaking, or anything else needed.

Back