Suspended LED fell INTO tank

ryanyde

Non-member
Hi guys,

As mentioned, I'm out in California and my gracious roommate has been taking care of the tank. Unfortunately, last night I got some bad news: one of my suspended LED's had fallen INTO the tank. I have 2 x 165W Aquamana brand suspended above my 90G tank.

The apparent good news is aside from some moving around of corals, nothing seemed to have been killed yet. The bad news is half of the tank is now dark.

The questions:
1) How long can the corals survive in relative darkness?
2) Are there any other effects from the light falling in that I need to check out or treat immediately?

I have posted a "need to buy or trade" in the WTB forums for any lights that will keep my corals alive. Please help if you can, since my roommate really isn't an expert and I'm not able to fly up to Boston immediately to remedy the situation. If anyone happens to have extra lights for a 90G (48in) and can swing by Cambridge, I will try to compensate appropriately.

Thanks a ton everyone!
Ryan

My hydra fell into my tank so I had to order another one. Tank was in complete darkness for a few days. Everything was fine.

Yeah, no need to worry. While you wait to find a replacement just swap the light you have between the two sides every 2-3 days if you're worried about it. Or figure out a way to rig the light so it hangs over the middle of the tank while you wait.

corals can survive almost 7 days without light , they won't be very happy and will need to be "re-acclimated " I imagine but ask archit how long his were without light when he moved to his store location

Even now I shut my lights off for 3 consecutive days to lill any remaining cyano or hair algae, corals are fine especially my LPS

Thanks guys! Now just need to remotely find (cheap) lights within a week :). LMK if y'all have any suggestions on anything that could be easily mounted.

For the moment hopefully the one light will keep things working.

Appreciate all of the fast responses!

You can order one on ebay, they are about $89 shipped.

I am using this, $82 shipped right now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/165W-Dimmab...845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8fc9fb55

What I found this LED stand out from the other eBay LED are:
1.It has lens that has non visible disco ball effect, at least what I can see.
2.Each LED chips has a zoner chip next to it so that if one bulb die, the rest still light up.
3. It has extra pair of sockets on each light that you can daisy chain multiple lights and only use one pair of socket on the wall.

Bad part: it has no UV.
But most of the cheap ebay LED do not have true UV chips any way.

Thanks! I have never used UV lighting, so I'm not too worried about it not having it. My corals have still grown, although they got shocked a bit without light for a while.

I am using this, $82 shipped right now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/165W-Dimmab...845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8fc9fb55

What I found this LED stand out from the other eBay LED are:
1.It has lens that has non visible disco ball effect, at least what I can see.
2.Each LED chips has a zoner chip next to it so that if one bulb die, the rest still light up.
3. It has extra pair of sockets on each light that you can daisy chain multiple lights and only use one pair of socket on the wall.

Dong,

So I could get away with 3 of these on a 180 gallon tank? What height do recommend hanging them at? I have a hood with only about 6" of clearance so I'm guessing I would have to modify it?

Depend on what coral you are planning to keep. For sps, I will stay away from these light.

I have SPS as well. The aquamana worked fine and my birds nest were growing really quickly. Is there another you'd recommend for mixed reef (including SPS)?

Depend on what coral you are planning to keep. For sps, I will stay away from these light.

I have a 125 now with mostly lps and softies. I wanted to be able to keep a few sps as well. Will it work if I put all the SPS on the top of the rock work?

Back