Tank building?

I was wondering if anyone here has attempted, with success, building their own tank. I have a place up here that will cut acrylic to any of my specs. Looking to build a tank about 24"x24"x 8' long.

I haven't built a big tank, but I did make a 30x18x17 sump and lots of research before trying. Sump came out great, but there were so many ways the project could have gone catastrophically wrong.

The big question is do you have any exp/knowledge of working with acrylic?

A DIY project like that can be done, but If you don't have much exp with acrylic I would think it would be pretty risky. You would have to do everything perfect the first time, very little room for error. Considering the cost of the material involved I wouldn't try it unless I had some pretty solid acrylic exp???

Just my $.02

I don't have any experiance with acrylic. But I do have plenty of experiance in millworking with wood. Good advice though, i was planning on doing a couple small acrylic projects first to get my feet wet. Is there any must know things/pointers that i should know?

Built my tank (of the exact same proportions) and it worked out well, it gives a certain sense of satisfaction to know you built that. When completed she will hold back over 2000 pounds of water, your millwork skills will come in handy builing a stand to hold it as well. I built mine from glass though, won't be much help with pointers.

-Dave

How did the glass prices compare to the acrylic? I would be equally happy with a glass tank. Always good to look at all the options.

Just to add, if you want a walk through on building an acrylic tank, search the RC DIY fourm for a thread titled "acrylic questions I can help" started by "acrylics". It's a two part thread (endless) but if you find the first part it begins with a walk through on a basic tank build. If your considering the acrylic project it's worth the very very long read - and "acrylics" is very good about answering questions if you have any (prof acrylic fabricator).

Our tank was ~$7-800 in glass.

Acrylic scrathes too easily and is prone to cracking with age from what I have read, some people may have differing opinions, but this was a big factor in my decision. When you undertake a project like this, you want it to be around for the long haul. Ours may end up as a sump in a year or two, but generally, when someone takes on a tank this size, they plan on it being their masterpiece, something to last them for years and years. Weigh your options carefully, this thing is going to be around for a while. This goes for things such as overflow placement and size, bracing configuration, and other configuration considerations, unless you aren't worried about money, you only get one shot at it (especially true of acrylic tanks), do it right the first time.

-Dave

Last edited:
If you decide to use acrylic, please build a few tanks of smaller scale first. Then maybe your sump as the last project. By then you will have decided if acryic work is for you. You will also have a sump and fuge. It seems simple enough, but getting bubble free seals is a real art.

If you decide to use acrylic, please build a few tanks of smaller scale first. Then maybe your sump as the last project. By then you will have decided if acryic work is for you. You will also have a sump and fuge. It seems simple enough, but getting bubble free seals is a real art.

This is true, I used to work in the plastics frabrication industry and it is definately something that takes practice.

-Dave

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back