Tank Move - Advice?

AV8er

Non-member
So I removed the center brace on my 37 gallon to accomodate my MH pendant without reinforcing it. Now the front glass is bowing out a bit and want to replace the tank before disaster strikes.

My question is whether anyone thinks I can just do a wholesale move of everything in my tank over the course of one day into a new tank? It has been set up for over a year. (Also, during the move, I would be removing and selling some of the inhabitants, so the new tank would have a lighter bio-load.) Anything else I should look out for? Thanks, Jon.

first thing I would do is reinforce the tank right now, disaster could potentionally happen at any time. I would atleast get some clamps on there to hold the tank from falling apart. Im not shure how long it could stay like that without any support.

how far back did you cut the brace? did you cut it all the ways to the rim, or is there still a little bit left?

If you didnt cut the brace all the ways out you could save yourself some time by taking a clear hard plastic sheet and drilling two holes on either end, and attaching it with plastic screws to what is left of the brace.

Last edited:
i just did this a couple weeks ago. if you want to keep the tank, it's pretty easy to replace the brace with some coated wire and it's just as sturdy. I did this to my 46 and it worked out swimmingly. also, it is possible to do it in one day, it's tiring, but possible. i had a bunch of rubbermaid containers, and mixed up a bunch of water. put half new water, half tank water in each to hold livestock. make sure the temps (tank & bucket) are the same, yopu might want to keep a heater in there cause the water cools very quickly (found that out the hard way :rolleyes:). thats the only thing i can think of to watch out for right now, that i wish i had initially thought of. if you have any questions about the brace or my move, feel free to ask. most of all, good luck :D

Agreed, it's already crudely reinforced, but at this point, I need a replacement. However, I have been told that the center-brace is not critical for the structural integrity of the tank over time. Is that just flat out wrong, or as with most things, is it somewhere in the middle?

Also, I plan to remove the center brace on the new tank, but reinforce it with acrylic bars before I remove it. I just think the front glass is too warped to trust it in the long run. (Its not noticably bulging out or anything, just no longer straight.)

Thanks for the support, here I go...

Last edited:
well, the center brace holds the tanks sides up more or less, with all the water pushing out on the glass(wich is about 300 pounds on a 37 gallon), the sealing in the corners is not nearly enough to hold the walls from breaking the seals.

Im not shure if the center brace is the main structural support for the tank, but it wouldnt be there if it wasnt needed.

is it a bowfront? my tank is a 46g bow and i would say that it makes a big difference, just because of the shape of the glass and the pressure put on it. i'm not sure how it would work with rectangular tanks, as i don't have any experience with them. sorry :)

No, it's not a bowfront and I agree that there is clearly a need for the center brace for support on some level no matter what the shape of the tank.

I guess I was just trying to determine how much $#!t I got myself in and how worried I should be? ( I removed the brace a while ago, but reinforced it (crudely) about a week ago)

is it braced in any manner at all? if not, i would rig something up asap because your putting more pressure on the glass then it's designed to hold. how intense of a rig would depend on how long before you move everything out.

Back