Tank Move, advice and help for move needed

Stimpy

Bite Who?? ME ??
Hi All,
Finally got my new house, movers coming Friday.
55 display, 30 fuge, 20 sump mixed corals and fish

I would LIKE to get the tank moved this weekend

What preparations should I do now before the move?
What do I need for the move? besides lottsa buckets

Anyone have a couple hours this weekend to help? Framingham MA
Any other informations you have I can use, never moved my tanks.

Thank you all in advance.
Bob - Stimpy

Ideally you could set up a self-sustaining holding tank at the new location...that way you could move everything in buckets to the new house and have them held in a single container (aerated, temp-controlled) until you get your tank and equipment moved.

Maybe you could use your fuge (or fuge and sump) as a holding tank for all the livestock? You can always replenish the algae...

Do you have sand in the tanks? You'll probably have to empty those tanks and most people would recommend not using your old sand in the new tank because it will be all mixed up and likely contain a ton of nutrients and potentially other harmful stuff. You could probably save the top inch or two without much risk but I'd be leery of using more than that...

I have a 20g tall tank that I just drained all but about 1/4" of water from and moved whole (with the sand still in it). That seemed to work fine...but I don't think that is a workable plan for larger tanks.

Aeration and temperature...to me, those are the two biggest issues that you need to address for the move. Also, ideally you'll be able to acclimate the animals when you get to your new home just as if you bought them new.

I would also suggest to ahve about 50 gallons of fresh saltwater at salinity and temp ready to go for the move. I only use as much clean water that I can get out of the tank to reuse. The last 6" or so when you start taking out a lot of rock and disturb the sand bed should just be thrown out.

One thing I found that is cheap to use are the 24 gallon rubbermaid containers (rectangular) that they sell at HD for about $7 each. They are great for holding all the livestock while you set the tank back up.

As Joe said make sure to maintain temp and oxygen levels in the temperary containers while you are moving everything.

Wish I could lend a hand, but this weekend doesn't work.

Congrats on getting the house. Is it the one down the street you were talking about a while back?

Mike is right; have a ton of at temp premixed water. IMO, you should be able to re-use your sand; I did when I moved a 72. If you drain out the water, LR and livestock and put them in the aforementioned buckets, they can stay there while you move the tank and sand bed and get it set back up...

Good luck, on the house and the move....

Thanks so far all,...
Mike , old house gone bye bye, New house evan better.
55 display crushed coral but no sand per say....
about 40g ready water and 30g rodi water ready.

will have to take rock out and pack to catch the fish anyway.

Whats the best way to transport the corals??
buckets? or shallow water in my 2 spare 10g tanks??

Stimpy

I have always bagged all my corals and just stick the fish in a few buckets since you are moving the water anyway. Corals can slime quite a bit when moving, so I normally discard that water which is why I use bags. Much less water wasted and the corals are isolated from eachother.

no time, tossed setup in dumpster,

just kiddin, hoping to pack up tomorrow. I had electricians in rewiring right where the tanks are going...
Bob

I have always bagged all my corals and just stick the fish in a few buckets since you are moving the water anyway. Corals can slime quite a bit when moving, so I normally discard that water which is why I use bags. Much less water wasted and the corals are isolated from eachother.

Bags don't work with colonies though ;)

Stimpy, I'm in Framingham too, and if you need some buckets, I've got a half dozen or so you can borrow.

If you were moving next week, I'd let you take the 100g stock tank and set it up at the new place as temporary holding...but my fish are still using it.

Back