Need some advice on a reef tank move

jdmitch

Josh
Hi everyone, My name is Josh and Im trying to make a tank move. A little overwhelmed I need some suggestion on how to go about the corals and fish (dont want to stress them out too much). Starting with a 3 year old 36 gal reef tank with a cheap stand, moving the 36 to a new stand I built with a new DIY 20 long refug setup, replacing my Eheim canister filter and starting up the 20L refug at that time. I know I have to remove some or all of the water, some of the live rock as well. I have the man power to slide the tank from one to another. (cant pick up the tank dont want it to break)..

Do I put the corals, fish, and live rock in a lg rubber made container with a powerhead and a heater and hope for the best or do I remove rock and corals drain the water down to 4" or so and keep the fish in and move the tank, or something else???

When I fill the tank back up with water (before stocking it back up) can I start the refug tank and how long should I let it run before restocking???

Like I said Im a little overwhelmed and nervous any suggestion would help.

Thanks Josh

I basically just did the same thing with our 45 gallon....moved it upstairs. Put all livestock, rock, and water into buckets and rubbermaid containers so the tank was completely empty. Moved everything upstairs and started restocking right away. This did give me the chance to get rid of some unwanted algae (valonia) on some of the rocks. I would start up your new fuge right away. Just have plenty of new saltwater mixed for the move. I changed out about half of the water with new saltwater when I filled it back up. Good luck!

Put all livestock,rock and corals in some rubbermaids with the majority of the water, heater and powrhead. Keep the sand in the tank covered in water. Make your move. Like Cheetos mentioned have PLENTY of water, more than you think. Always better to have extra than need more in a hurry. Best of luck. If you need any more "hands on" help let me know where you are located and if close enough will swing out.

Thanks for the input CHEETOS and MNAVICK. I do plain on having plenty of new water i just received a 200gal mix for the move and extra. would it stress the 5 fish out if I put them in a separate container or just keep with rock ect? Cheetos did your corals come back and did you loose anything? I hope the fuge brings a new and healthier life to the tank its my first time using a fuge.

When I went from my 90g to 150g I placed my rock attached corals between two 30g rubbermaids including fish (maybe 4 in each) and it never seem to stress them out. The only livestock I may have lost was some snails/crabs. Fuge will help you out in so many ways.

Last edited:
Back