Tank Move Advice?

Firereptile

Non-member
Hi all,
I'm currently in the process of doing a big upgrade on my sat water system. However, before I can put in the new tank I need to move the old one. I'm planning to break down the current tank and keep the livestock in a temporary holding tank. I'm getting stressed put about breaking down the tank and I was wondering if anybody had good advice on the best strategy to break down a tank and move the livestock?

BTW, the livestock in question is six fish and a large CUC.

Are you planning a one day move or just what ever it takes? Do you have corals?

Have a backup plan for the Holding tank. Stock tanks are best. And plan on the possibility that the temp holding tank maybe home for much longer than you thought.
You never know. it is also a good time to deal with any pests or unwanted algae etc during this time.

Not having corals makes it easier. I look at it like a big water change never had an issue. plan exactly how everything will be setup in the new tank before putting it in place. biggest thing is keeping your head calm. I tend to plunk the stock tank(temp holding)within feet of the tank. then I switch it out and everything but the sand goes back in I seed new sand it is just too much trouble and risk to move the sand.

But make sure you have water change water on top of the difference in volume just in case you have a leak or anything

something to buff the water filter socks work well as well as running carbon.

make sure you have good flow in the stock tank ||Trash bag and bowl to keep the sand from stirring up works wonders until you start aquascaping

Don't panic. if you do throw up a life line. definitely find a few reefers local that you can call just in case you need a second hand.Anyone can get overwhelmed at times

Back