The best refugium light ever?

danzig

BRS Member
Ok so I've been doing a lot of research on fuge lighting, currently i have a jbj nano glo light that isnt giving me the results i want, my chaeto hasn't really grown much in the month i have had it. First things first, Ive been looking for LED bulbs like the PAR38s but most of them arnt 5000-6500 Kelvin. I know alot about growing plants and a good bit about lighting and for plant growth you want the 5000-6500k range it simulates mid summer natural sunlight the best, whereas most home lighting bulbs are around 2500-3300k. This is why its hard to find bulbs for a fuge or growing plants (macro/mangroves in my case). Those PAR38 bulbs are a huge rip off In my opinion because your just paying for new technology, some are even like $150... Anyways most of them throw off about 800 lumens and use just about the same amount of electricity as CFL (compact fluorescent). Well for the same cost as a cheap PAR38 bulb you have to check out this badass light i found. It is 6500k and is about 6500 lumens!!! The best part? Its 27 dollars with free shipping, nuff said? Let me know what you all think because it seems to good to be true to me, and for some reason thats usually the case. Heres the product link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BQ0D3G?ie=UTF8&ref=aw_bottom_links&force-full-site=1

I see you run phosban. Do you have enough nutrients in the tank to grow chaeto? or do you have other problem algae in the tank? That light should work well on a fuge. They used to have something like those at home depot (years ago now) that worked well on a fuge.

I am not sure on all the specs, but I do know that alot of reefers use this exact light for fuges.

phosban is going to remove alot of waht the cheato feeds on...Do u also run ro/di? cause that is the other element needed for the cheato to grow & prosper!!

phosban is going to remove alot of waht the cheato feeds on...Do u also run ro/di? cause that is the other element needed for the cheato to grow & prosper!!

I don't follow this comment Brian...I know the cheato needs N and P to grow, but I lost you on the RO/DI comment. Can you explain?

You have to wire it. It's easy though.

FWIW if anyone wants one of these lights used I have one for $15 (black fixture, not white like in the amazon link)

I see you run phosban. Do you have enough nutrients in the tank to grow chaeto? or do you have other problem algae in the tank? That light should work well on a fuge. They used to have something like those at home depot (years ago now) that worked well on a fuge.
too much phosphates, .6 ppm, and i have some cyano everywhere.
Im not worried about the phosban, im not trying to grow chaeto, if theres no nutrients to take up then it just wont grow, it wont die, its just a backup method.

Does it run a normal power cord or do I need to wire it up?
you need to wire it
You have to wire it. It's easy though.

FWIW if anyone wants one of these lights used I have one for $15 (black fixture, not white like in the amazon link)
pming you.

Back