The tank was drilled last night.

Brewmaster

Non-member
Well after six months of running a 72G bow reef tank with two hang on marineland 400's, I have moved up in the addiction with a 20G L sump/fuge. I will also be running an AquaC EV-180 skimmer later this week once I get another pump to run the sump. I'm currently using the mag 7 for the return on the sump but it's too powerful. I'm gonna use the mag7 for the skimmer and maybe a mag5 for the return.

Any suggestions for the return pump?

The drain has a slow drip at the union after the bulkhead. Should I use PVC cement there or something else to stop the drip?

Cheers,
Jim

Congrats! For the return you might want to think about one of the Eco pumps, they are "pretty good on gas". Prob the 633 or a 1065 restricted?

I run a mag5 on my 72, but I'm not looking for mega-flow. It seems to do the trick. Look at the eheim pumps too, very cheap on the watts. I'd buy the eheim if I were replacing my return pump.

When you say the mag 7 is too much, what makes it too much? (overflow capacity, microbubbles, too much flow in the tank???). There may be fixes for all of the above problems.....

If you do swap out that pump, I would STRONGLY agree with the suggestion to look at the ehiem pumps. They do cost a good bit more, but they are very efficient, near silent, and overall the quality makes mag pumps look like a joke. IME/IMO 1 eheim is worth 3 mag's. The overall quality and longevity just blows away the mags.

Back