I Was wonder if my tank has been set up right?

Royalty

Reefer In Training
I have a 72 bowfront with the fellowing equipment in live stock

Equipment first :
maxxi jet 1200
korilia x1
marineland 65-75 gal. hang-on-back filter
40 gallon prizm hang-on-back skimmer
300 watt elite heater
48'' ortbit t-5 one white 10k and one blue atinic
Rio 2500 pump

Live stock :
1 four strip demsil
2 blue green chromis
2 firefish goby's
1 six line wrasse
2 common clownfish

Inverts :
1 brittle starfish
1 sand-swifting starfish
8 blue leg hermits crabs
12 red leg hermit crabs
1 pink urchin
3 peppermint shrimps
9 asterina starfish
1 featherduster worm
3 emerald crabs
4 turbo snails
1 nasser snail
4 mini snail there to small to tell what kind

Corals :
1 green tip hammerhead -frag
1 yellow montipora -frag
3 red montipora -frag
1 frogspawn -frag
1 green blue candy cane -frag
3 types of pulse corals
1 long-tentacle toadstool
2 brown acro -frag
1 bta
1 armor of gods -frag
1 gsp-frag
1 green hawaii pronto poly 25+ heads
1 green birdnest-frag
1 softie-frag

I can't figure out the name of the last two but there very beatiful in my tank lol I do have a sump/refu but Im scared of a system test so I left the hang on filter/skimmer on tell get the sump set up. I have had my tank up and running for about 5 months now. Things have been great I feel as if they can be better? Given the equipment I have and live stock what would you do to improve a systme like mine?
Im open minded so please feel feel to throw in your 2 cents.:rolleyes:

Well this is no wrong way unless it doesn't work but as your tank matures the demand change. You might think about getting a better skimmer once you get your sump setup.
And as the corals grow in you may need more flow.

How much Live rock do you have in the tank?

What are you doing for maintaining your parameters? ALK, Ca, Mg, etc, Dosing supplements? Two part? kalk water?

I'd think about upgrading the lights also. A T-5 10000k and a T-5 actinic isn't much light for some of the SPS in your tank.

I almost forgot about that..

parameters:
ph 8.2-8.4
ammo 0
trite 0
trate 10
cal 580
kh 10
sal 1.026

Liverock :
mix rock about 110 pounds

livesand:
60 pounds mix fine sand some crush coral

I think my lights have stronger k but I got em from a member not to long ago ill ask her. the skimmer is a temp I have a berlin 25-225 gallon I dont have a pump for so Ive been waiting.

ditch the filter, get a better skimmer and get more powerheads. That is my opinion. Filters are ok to get get the system running but not necessary once you get live rock established IMO. You should have more flow though. I have a 90 and I have 2 Koralia 4's and a Koralia 1 (used to keep my BTA away from a frag for now) and I don't have enough flow. Skimmer is one of your most important pieces of equipment aside from your lights. Don't skimp on skimmer or lights. Get what you can reasonably afford.

That is my opinion. See what others say.

I thought my maxx jet had to much flow my tank looks live a sumai is going throw it. it throws sand around every where I have it point up just to reduce it a bit. I dont plan on keeping the hang-on fitler for much longer it was just to get me going I will be getting a better fixture just as soon as I move out. Ill see what else people have to say and make changes if need be.

Does the maxijet have a mod on it?

Ca is on the high side and you should be testing for Mag

I have a Instant Ocean Sea Clone 150 skimmer on my 90g reef tank. At first I was gotting to get a more exspesive one, but I saw this one for $85 dollars on Amazon.com, well this thing work great. I'm very happy with it.

Oh and those lights you have really need to be ungraded very soon I have 8 t5s on my 90g

Last edited:
Up grade your lights, skimmer and get more flow. I have 2 250 w mh on my 90. when i had my 72 bow I had 2 150w hqi bulbs.

Up grade your lights, skimmer and get more flow. I have 2 250 w mh on my 90. when i had my 72 bow I had 2 150w hqi bulbs.

ive been thinkin of mod my old pc coralife fixture into a led fixture it just dont have the funds right now

Definitely need a better skimmer. If you're using a HOB skimmer go for an Aqua-C Remora Pro. I used one when I had my 72 bow and it worked awesome.

For an in sump skimmer take a look at some of the new cone skimmers or the Octopus line of skimmers. Octopus are reasonable in pricing. If you want to spend a few extra $$$ then Euro-Reef (or whoever they are now) makes a phenomenal skimmer.

Plus SPS WILL need for light than 2 T5's. Look at Aquatraders.com for a low priced MH unit. They're ballasts have improved drastically over the pas couple years. I run an Aquatraders 24" MH light on my 20g nano and it is really sweet! Their T5's are priced great too but they're never in stock.

Definitely need a better skimmer. If you're using a HOB skimmer go for an Aqua-C Remora Pro. I used one when I had my 72 bow and it worked awesome.

For an in sump skimmer take a look at some of the new cone skimmers or the Octopus line of skimmers. Octopus are reasonable in pricing. If you want to spend a few extra $$$ then Euro-Reef (or whoever they are now) makes a phenomenal skimmer.

Plus SPS WILL need for light than 2 T5's. Look at Aquatraders.com for a low priced MH unit. They're ballasts have improved drastically over the pas couple years. I run an Aquatraders 24" MH light on my 20g nano and it is really sweet! Their T5's are priced great too but they're never in stock.

to be truthful i dont want to get into mh id rather stay with t-5's maybe leds if i can find someone to help me mod my old fixture.

I would go with t5 lighting most of the corals your keeping will do better under t5s vs mh a may be to much light as will led lights because they have the same effect as a mh but with lower temperatures. Upgrade your lights for sure I would go with a 4 bulb fixture at the very liest I run a 4 bulb t5 over my nano and its great! New skimmer is a must and do you have your sump plumbed?

I would go with t5 lighting most of the corals your keeping will do better under t5s vs mh a may be to much light as will led lights because they have the same effect as a mh but with lower temperatures. Upgrade your lights for sure I would go with a 4 bulb fixture at the very liest I run a 4 bulb t5 over my nano and its great! New skimmer is a must and do you have your sump plumbed?
i was looking into a retro fitting my wood canopy with 8 bulbs 2 12k white 2 12 k fiji purple 4 super blue atinic and some leds for moonlighting all with individual switches and light 6 fans two super stronge balast and as far as the pumpin question i have step up my sump because im moving i figure the tank was goin to be taken down so why go all out with the set up. but i will set up the sump as soon as i move out from my third floor apt. plus i have no idea how to do a system test ?? so i rather wait hopefully my tank can manage till i move out .

Back