Thinking about switching to BRS 2-part

I've been using them with their magnesium for years on my previous tank and the current tank.
No clog no mess. Just need a good doser.
I just switched back to CA reactor fuel to the demand in the 200gallon.

I've been using them with their magnesium for years on my previous tank and the current tank.
No clog no mess. Just need a good doser.
I just switched back to CA reactor fuel to the demand in the 200gallon.

Thanks. I plan on still manually dosing for now but will probably eventually get a doser. How long does it take you to fine tune in the dosage/ratio amounts with this? I assume it's prob not much different than what I'm doing now with seachem products...

It would be the same.
A couple days to get a rough idea. A week to get it right.
But you still have to test often though. I usually test once a week. It's just good husbandry.

I will only buy calcium chloride, you can get the Alk (baking soda) from Costco for cheap.

I will only buy calcium chloride, you can get the Alk (baking soda) from Costco for cheap.

So bake the baking soda and dose accordingly to the Farley recipe? Or can I use the BRS calculator for the baking soda as I would with their product?

okay, this is something I want to learn (as part of my 2016 new year resolution)
so how do you guys use baking soda to make alk?

buy the soda from the store, add rodi water and shake and use? is that all?

thanks

Last edited:
And the chemistry calculator to figure out how much of what to make whatever corrections you need. (has drop down menus for various commercial supplements as well as DIY from the article Nick Linked above)

okay, this is something I want to learn (as part of my 2016 new year resolution)
so how do you guys use baking soda to make alk?

buy the soda from the store, add rodi water and shake and use? is that all?

thanks

I also use baking soda and here is the trick.
Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate which increase the alkalinity and if you bake short time then it will turn into sodiun carbonate which will increase pH.

And the chemistry calculator to figure out how much of what to make whatever corrections you need. (has drop down menus for various commercial supplements as well as DIY from the article Nick Linked above)

Sorry, but where is this link you're referring to?

Baking soda is a better ALK additive than soda ash. It won't raise your pH as much.

Back