Thinking of switching back to halides- looking for advice

Intheflesh

Non-member
I miss that shimmer!

I currently have a 65 gallon (3ft x18"x24") and am using a 6x39 watt ATI Power Module. This replaced the 4x39 Tek that I previously had. Needless to say it was quite the upgrade, and the price was right (bought it here from a reefer leaving the hobby). My reason for going with the t5 for this tank was 2 fold- 1. The 65 had a center brace. All you really need for this tank would be a single 250. But the brace would leave a shadow. So I thought, ok, just get 2x150. But then thats an extra bulb to replace.... long story short i didn't think it was economical at the time.

Now I have 6 bulbs to replace, and my next tankis going to be a rimless 48 gallon, I am thinking of looking for a 250 halide w/ 2x39 t5. Doing some quick maths, its not that much more to run than my 6 bulb right now. I calculated about 2.5 kw*hr/day for the t5 and 2.78 kw*hr/dy for the halide/t5 combo.

Can any one recommend a SLEEK looking fixure? I previously had a coralife 3x150 hqi and thought it looked bulky. I love the sleek look of the ati fixture.

Will be hard to find a sleek looking MH/T5 fixture if you're going to SE. DE will get you better looking fixture.
I always like the geismann fixture. They are nice looking and have excellent reflectors. If I were you, I would go SE and run Radium bulb.

Ah yes, that was my next question- something about which I am completely in the dark (pardon the pun). Could someone explain SE vs DE bulbs? My previous Halides were DE.

I've done a little research on the subject, and it almost seems that people choose single ended mostly because of the bulb selection.

I also know that DE bulbs prefer HQI ballasts.

Thats about all I really know on the subject

Last edited:
I think 2 x 150 pendants would be a viable option. Don't think I want to do 2 x250. There are a lot of nice modern looking pendants out there.

looking around, I really like the sfilgio fixture. But I assume since I can't pronounce it, I sure as hell wont be able to afford it Ha!!

When are you getting your rimless 48gallon? Maybe better to just stay with what you have right now and get a fixture that will suit the new tank when you get it.
The way I see is, you gotta do 250W either DE or SE. You don't want 150W because it will be under powered. Doing one 250W right now over your current tank will be tough because it's a 36" and a center brace. You might end up degrading the integrity or melting the center brace if the fixture sits too close. Doing 250Wx2 is better but you'll be stuck with 48" fixture or two pendants. I don't thin its best for you to upgrade right now if that new tank is definitely coming.

DE was once believed to have more par. However, that was mainly due to the reflector. DE reflectors were better designed. DE required a UV shield(glass) under it and SE is built into the bulb. But who wouldn't want a piece of glass between the waterline and the bulb. Most people go with SE because of the bulb options and particularly the Radium bulb. Radium running off an M80 ballast still consider the best light for your reef. But honestly, I wouldn't pick SE because of that. There's many excellent bulbs in DE as well. Pheonix, Geismann Chrome, Aqualine are among the best bulb.

The new tank is enroute. Might be a month or so before setting it up though. I should have mentioned, the upgrade/switch.whatever will be for the new tank. I know I wouldn't/shouldn't put a single 250 over the 65 becuase of the brace.

I would wait and do a little more research. Maybe a good time to go for LED. What's the dimension of the 48gal?
Whatever you buy, make sure you stick with it. You're going to lose a lot of money if you resell it esp. metal halide fixture.

Just an idea, You could just get one strip of royal blue led's to get the shimmer, put it in front and angle it back

I would wait and do a little more research. Maybe a good time to go for LED. What's the dimension of the 48gal?
Whatever you buy, make sure you stick with it. You're going to lose a lot of money if you resell it esp. metal halide fixture.

the 48 gallon is the same foot print as the 65.

Not interested in LEDs. I have leds on my nano, and not a huge fan of the look.

I run se 250 watt halides with the icecap ballast ...If you like blue,radium is the way to go..my favorite bulb.

Single ended pendants with selectable wattage ballasts like the lumatek. Then use 175 watt 15k iwasaki bulbs. They put out as much par as any 250 watt bulb, but a little whiter than you would expect at 15k. If you change your mind about bulbs you can switch wattage to either 150 or 250 and it has an hqi setting for running hqi bulbs like the 250 watt radiums.

Misfit is spot on. Get a switchable ballast. I personally love Radiums but for that crisp 14k look Iwasakis are great...especially with a little actinic supplementation.

Back