Thinking of getting a BTA

TomD

Non-member
My reef is doing good and everything is growing rapidly. I am interested in getting a BTA but I am a little concerned about it either dying and fouling the tank, or moving into and stining corals. I do run carbon 24/7.

Can you all give me any advice or tips with them?

I have 2X250 but using 20K's on my 90. Will that be ok for it?

That light should be fine. I had 1 BTA, then 2, now 3. It split 2 times in about 8 months. I had 2x175 MH and they always stayed pretty low in the tank. Once they found a spot they liked, they never moved. When it split, the original stayed in place the the new one moved and then stayed there forever. I never had a problem with it moving over corals but this could happen.

That is what concerns me and makes me think I will just stay away from them.

What if the spot they find is on top of my favorite SPS or Acan? I guess that is the risk you take when you get one?

Also, how big do the average BTA's get in a healthy reef? I find that my 90 is filling up fast and I will be doing a lot of fragging in the near future.

Last edited:
I figured BTA's are easiest, however I really like Sebae's out of all.

How are Sebae anenomes with the 2 issues I am concerned with?

There seem to be a few different strains of btas and some get big while some split and stay small. Btas are the lowest light needing of the clownfish anemones and will be fine in much less light than you have. I wouldn't be concerned about it fouling the tank. you will know in advance if it is dying. Protect them from powerhead intakes and try to provide a comfortable place so it doesn't want to move. BTAs like to have their foot protected in a crevasse that they can retract into when disturbed. A rock with a hollow area on the bottom and a hole in the top is ideal.

If there is any one coral in your tank that you couldn't stand to lose then don't put in a BTA.

Cindy how about Sebae's with my concerns? I really like them the most.

I would love to see my clowns being hosted by a nice purple tipped Sebae.

What about Carpet Anemones? Are they too aggressive? I've seen some big ones, so I assume most of them get pretty large.

I do not know much about anenomes yet but I have seen some huge carpets and I believe there are some that can eat fish.

I am really interested on peoples experience with Sebae's in their reef.

I can't risk losing any of my nice corals to a brownish BTA.

What about Carpet Anemones? Are they too aggressive? I've seen some big ones, so I assume most of them get pretty large.

The same thing that I said about losing corals I would say about fish in the case of a carpet. They are notorious for eating fish. Usually the most expensive ones :eek:.

I couldn't see myself ever owning a carpet unless it would be in a frag tank or a dedicated clown anenome tank

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf
look at the pics and make sure you know which anemone you are looking at. Stores almost never are careful about the IDs of these guys despite the widly different care requirements. If you are looking at a sebea it is probably an H. Malu which I don't have much experience with.

Really? Ok Cindy, thanks. I will check that out. I thought sebea's had a distinct look but I really have little to no knowledge with anenomes.

Thanks.

If a BTA has a fish host in it, it will stay put.

My BTA has split a few times. I have given the split away each time. Never had any disasters but the really good guys recommend not mixing anemones with corals. I guess it’s not a natural occurrence

If there is any one coral in your tank that you couldn't stand to lose then don't put in a BTA.

I wouldn't really agree with this. I have probably well over a thousand dollars worth or corals in my tank that I couldn't stand to lose and I have 6 BTA's in my tank. The key is to get one in your tank when your tank is healthy and let it settle. Once they find a spot (and you keep your tank healthy) they stay put. Every one of my BTAs have stayed in the same corner for a year now.

so far as i've dealt with in my mere decade in the industry, sebaes don't have a very good track record. they tend to be more finicky with slight alkality swings and light and flow changes than the others (including the ritteri, carpets, beaded, etc)... if you find that you are still tank-putzing (ie moving powerheads, changing rockwork) and/or your alkalinity does swing a bit, i'd go with a BTA over anything else. there are absolutely stunning ones (you should have seen some that just came and left) and tend not to wig out after finding their "happy place" even with the small errors in chemistry that the new or lazy people (myself included) tend to make. =) they are also the anemone that the most species of clowns will adapt to, as well as being the most aqua-cultured (versus wild-collected/reef damaging) if that makes any difference in your decision.
cheers, michelle

I wouldn't really agree with this. I have probably well over a thousand dollars worth or corals in my tank that I couldn't stand to lose and I have 6 BTA's in my tank. The key is to get one in your tank when your tank is healthy and let it settle. Once they find a spot (and you keep your tank healthy) they stay put. Every one of my BTAs have stayed in the same corner for a year now.

Thank you Gen.

Steve, this is what I actually am worried about. In your own words, "Once they find a spot."

I was always told to let the tank establish before adding an anenome so I now have corals everywhere.

So, I am risking losing one or who knows until it finds its spot?

Back