Thinking of getting a BTA

don't worry too much, tom. BTAs are usually quick settlers... a lot of people who are afraid of them wandering into stuff are pleasantly surprised that the anemone avoided the other coral and/or found an open road. you're other option is to try and move your precious guys to the opposite end of the introduction. see what the BTA does and put them back after he finds his place. don't sweat it too much.

don't worry too much, tom. BTAs are usually quick settlers... a lot of people who are afraid of them wandering into stuff are pleasantly surprised that the anemone avoided the other coral and/or found an open road. you're other option is to try and move your precious guys to the opposite end of the introduction. see what the BTA does and put them back after he finds his place. don't sweat it too much.

Thanks Gen. I may try it, just want to collect a little more info. Not combfortable with trying it just yet.

I don't think moving all my corals is something that could be reasonably done.

Tom, I've had an RBTA in my tank for 3 years with tons of SPS - it survived a tank move, has split many times, and I even removed "its" rock and chiseled the anemone off to put it in a new place. Every time it never moved from where I placed it. Now IT is FOUR and FINALLY houses the eggs of my false percs - after 3 long years of waiting! I highly recommend them. I also recently added a Sebae with 2 Saddleback Clowns. I absolutely love this guy too. I've heard they are much more difficult to maintain (mostly because they don't ship well), but I got mine from an established tank where it lived for 2 years.

Here's a pic of my RBTAs with Mommy (Daddy is busy fanning the eggs which are smack dab in the middle of the anemones):

Attachments

• PICT1414 Medium Web view.jpg
    PICT1414 Medium Web view.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 97
Now that is nice! I like RBTA's a lot better. How mucg more difficult would you consider them?

They are just as hearty as any BTA. Color doesn't really matter as long as it isn't pale or white which means that it is "bleached" and has lost some zoanthelli.

I put the original RBTA in when my tank was about 6 months old. I only had PCs for lighting, and the anemone did great. I think they are pretty hardy.

Tom, mine didn't move too much. They seemed to stay in the same general area, but now stay put pretty well. Here's one of my all time favorite anemone pictures from my tank.

Attachments

• DSC03305.JPG
    DSC03305.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 85
That is nice Steve. More than one anenome are ok next to each other? Is that what I am seeing?

Yes, BTAs can be all up against eachother. I started out with 3 and have 6 now. I've also already sold 2 splits from my rose and 2 greens. So there would actually be 10 in there if I didn't get rid of some.

They are fine if they are the same type. Any BTA or RBTA is fine next to another. Different types can't be very close without attacking each other though. BTAs are extreemly hearty if you get them healthy from another reefers tank. Getting them from the store after all of the stress of collection and shipping is a bit tougher though. You might want to try your luck with a common brown one and see how it does in your tank and then get a prettier rose one after you know the first one is doing well.

You might want to try your luck with a common brown one and see how it does in your tank and then get a prettier rose one after you know the first one is doing well.

You are probably right. I keep my tank in the best condition I possibly can so I hope if I do get one, it will be ok. I was more worried about my corals.

Is it ok to get a small one? Are the as strong when small? I figure that is less of a chance of something happening.

What about my powerheads? I have a Seio 1100 and an Oceanflow 1200. Any concerns with those?

For the powerheads, feel them with your hand. Any place where you feel like you are being sucked in, a wandering anemone would get pulled into and chopped up. You can make a cage with craft mesh to cover the intakes. Make it have a larger surface area and the suction will be reduced without changing the flow of the pump. Powerheads kill a lot of anemones.

Here's my RBTA and Pink Skunk Trio(crappy pic) that you've seen for yourself. This one never moves, but my GBTA does every so often. It has also bubbled up a bit since I changed from 250s to 400s.

Attachments

• pink skunk trio.jpg
    pink skunk trio.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 80
I figured BTA's are easiest, however I really like Sebae's out of all.

How are Sebae anenomes with the 2 issues I am concerned with?

Tom, I have a big sebae. He has never moved. Not once. I put him in the tank on a rock, and he has stayed on that rock for the last year+. After two tank moves, hes still on that rock.

That being said, hes also probably 18" across, so hes a big fella.

Thanks guys.

Rich, I am glad you said that because in my 90 I can't afford to sacrafice to much room.

Here's an old pic of my BTA that my clowns are hosting in now

Attachments

• Picture 251.jpg
    Picture 251.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 72
When my time comes for a BTA.... what can I get with 150MH lighing? Would I have to put the BTA higher in the tank to accomadate for the lighting?

Back