Thoughts on RC's new policy on their buy/sell section

jwaka11

Non-member
I just wanted to get people's opinion on what they think regarding RC's new policy on having certain number of post count to even view the section.

My thought is that I dont think its right for them to do that. I've been an RC member for at least 3 years... albeit my post count is under 20. I've bought a few equipments from that site just because they're one of, if not the, biggest reefing site on the net.

I dont have a high post count just because I typically dont view the other forums other than the Buy/Sell forums. And if I do have a question on that forum, I use this little thing called 'search', and wala! Another advantage of having one of the biggest database, chances are, my topic has already been covered.

I'm much more of a "if you aint got nothing good to say, dont say it at all" type of person... now they're promoting meaningless posts just to boost people's post counts.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts...

It's not a new rule, it's an old rule that was ignored often enough that they felt the need to do something about it.

Personally I really can't beleive that people are making such a stink about it. Post a little, problem solved :)

It's not a new rule, it's an old rule that was ignored often enough that they felt the need to do something about it.

Personally I really can't beleive that people are making such a stink about it. Post a little, problem solved :)

That's what i did =). Before i knew it i've got almost 500 posts, and i still spend about 10 times as much time on this site!

I don't think it's a bad thing.. you gotta think about it from their point of view.. they didn't make the site for it to be a reefing craigslist... they really wanted it to be a discussion, and informational forum, like it is. It cuts down on the amount of people that (like you) go there just looking to buy used equipment for a cheaper price. Now that's not a bad thing that that's what you use RC for, that's a lot of what i use it for too.. but it doesn't really do anything to help the site out either, you know what i mean?

If they didn't have any rules in place, imagine how many people they'd have with like no posts just using the buy/sell forums? Again, might not seem like a big deal to you, but to them it's wasted server space ;)

Personally,I wouldn't care if they shut the whole buy/sell forum down there.I have over 1800 post there and hardly ever look at that section.Like Joel said,the site was not created to be a reefer Craigs list.I wouldn't feel comfortable buying anything on there anyways.The site is worldwide and could have plenty of dishonest folks selling stuff on there.Much better to buy sell here with local club members.

I agree with what you folks said regarding they're not wanting the site to turn into a CL-like postings... however I thought most sites like to have web hits for their advertising dollars? Unique hit is still a unique hit.

Regarding contributing on the site, I have nothing meaningful contribute to the site. With my 2yrs of experience, I'm still new to the hobby and there are lots of other people who have waay more experience than I do. So why should I answer a post that have already been asked x number of times before? Or ask a question that also been covered x number of times?

So do I try to socialize there to boost my post count? Im certain that there are lots of interesting folks there, but I simply have no time. And besides, I much rather do that on a smaller/localized forum like this instead of RC.

I know its only 50 posts and to some of you that may seem like its nothing, but its the principle. What I offer is my clicks. Often times, as I do here, I look for sponsored sites because I remember seeing a banner ad for a particular product/service. And sometimes, those clicks turn into business--a la Neptune Apex I purchased a few months ago.

Also, I'm sure the sellers of which I've purchased items from dont mind me buying from them as well ;)

And Bob, of course its always caveat emptor when purchasing anything online. While preferably dealing with a local reefer is a number one choice, but obviously its a alot smaller market when looking for a preowned goods.

I agree with what you folks said regarding they're not wanting the site to turn into a CL-like postings... however I thought most sites like to have web hits for their advertising dollars? Unique hit is still a unique hit.

Regarding contributing on the site, I have nothing meaningful contribute to the site. With my 2yrs of experience, I'm still new to the hobby and there are lots of other people who have waay more experience than I do. So why should I answer a post that have already been asked x number of times before? Or ask a question that also been covered x number of times?

So do I try to socialize there to boost my post count? Im certain that there are lots of interesting folks there, but I simply have no time. And besides, I much rather do that on a smaller/localized forum like this instead of RC.

I know its only 50 posts and to some of you that may seem like its nothing, but its the principle. What I offer is my clicks. Often times, as I do here, I look for sponsored sites because I remember seeing a banner ad for a particular product/service. And sometimes, those clicks turn into business--a la Neptune Apex I purchased a few months ago.

Also, I'm sure the sellers of which I've purchased items from dont mind me buying from them as well ;)

And Bob, of course its always caveat emptor when purchasing anything online. While preferably dealing with a local reefer is a number one choice, but obviously its a alot smaller market when looking for a preowned goods.

Socializing on RC doesn't work either.The lounge post don't count towards the 50.:p
I don't have a whole lot of experience either.But..I do have experiences.
So,if I see a new reefer going through something that I have when I started.Well,I'll throw my hat in and try and answer their questions.Most of the time "new" reefer's get on RC and have no idea how to use the search or navigate the site well.I would even say most new reefer's get on RC after already developing a major crisis in their tank.:rolleyes:

I agree with having rules

However a paid member (I am of RC and BRS) should have viewing rights.
and IMO a paid member of more than a year who isn't a big poster shouldn't be penalized for not posting.

Now, all hats off for non paying members. Pony up or don't complain....

And lately,what I have seen there is the Mods Bashing peoples posts.
I mean running them over for what someone had posted. Then closing the thread...

I just don't see that same treatment here in our Home Forum BRS.

Thats all.

Peace

Just my two cents, I think some have forgot that it's all about the membership and what benifiets members. The making of rules and how they are enforce without general membership consent is something I don't understand.

Back