Thoughts on UV sterilizer??

Sdeluca10

BRS Member
I’ve never ran one before. I’m just curious how many people use them. What are the pros and cons?

I run two 36w ones on my system 24/7 and I love it. I’ve had a couple of new fish pop up some ick which lasted a couple days and it was gone. People are concerned about UV lights killing pods but I have plenty of pods with a couple of fat mandarins. I think every tank should have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i had one on my 180... but i switched to the zeovit method which has you remove GFO and my UV

I have an 80 watt version and never have any ick problems. I also have plenty of pods in the tank. Go get one you will not regret it.

I'm running the 80W HO from Pentair. It's huge! and I honestly don't know how a 5"(?) black PVC that's able to hold water and a piece of glass in it would cost $750 but yeah, it works great on fish diseases like Ich. When you have a lot of fish, it's almost a must.

I used to use one years ago. IMO not worth the effort or expense. If you really want it to do anything you need to keep it clean and replace the bulb regularly. Also the seals breakdown because of the exposure to UV. Unless you are keeping really sensitive fish (seahorses) I think you are better off just having a healthy system (live rock with all the filterfeeders that come along with it, and feeding your fish healthy food.

Back